Seat Hanging on Nomad

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BillB

Seat Hanging on Nomad

Post by BillB »

I got about half way through the seat hanging process on my Nomad when I realized the 6" long machine screws I've been using will not be long enough to hang the rear hangers on the stern seat. I followed the designers recommendation on seat placement so I'm not sure why this happened. I was hoping to keep the seat height under the front edge about 10 to 10.5" off the bottom - as Ted recommends. If I use the 6" bolts there will be over 11" under the seat. Will this significantly affect stability? I found some 8" long bolts at Jamestown Distributors but they are pricey ($11 each). Any recommendations? Thanks - Bill.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Hi Bill...did exactly the same thing on exactly the same boat a month ago. The bow seat fit just fine, but like you, the stearn seat was too high. I went to a hardware store and bought an "all thread" rod the diameter I wanted in a stick about 3 feet long. I cut it to fit the two rear seat mounts in the stearn seat and made new spacers. The front two hangers were fine as they were.
Professionals built the Titanic; amatuers built the Ark!
BillB

Post by BillB »

Thanks Riverrat. I thought I was going crazy. Everyone, including Newfound (where I got the bolts) and Bear Mtn (where I got the plans), was telling me to use the 6" bolts. It just seems a little too high. I remeasured and would need a minimum of 11.25" under the leading edge of the seat if I used the 6" bolts. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out my local Home Depot for threaded rod. Bill.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Whoops - I missed the September 20 thread by Riverrat which addressed this topic directly. Sorry for the repitition - Bill.