Hockey Stick Seats...

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Nova Scotian

Hockey Stick Seats...

Post by Nova Scotian »

Hi all; I'm in the seat building stage and I was looking around the shed for materials and a few broken hockey sticks appeared. (I keep 'em for inspired occasions such as this)
Hockey sticks are made from 3/4 x 1 1/8 laminated ash. (2 Lousiville, 1 Easton and a Sherwood 5030)
Ted's book suggests 3/4 x1 1/2 hardwood.
I was wondering if this would work as a seat frame? Wondering if it would be too springy? Too thin on the horizontal?
Has anybody ever did this, tried this, thought about this?

Stuart

ps - I have one broken composite stick, but not sure where I'm going to use carbon fibre....
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

An inspired idea!!!!!! :applause
Rob from Hamilton

Hockey stick seats

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

Hi Stuart,
I have been collecting broken hockey sticks for a long time. I've decorated my son's room with them, built small tables with them, and we are considering putting a floor together out of some of the nicer wooden ones. I even came home one day and found my son had made a glider rocker out of them.
I've wanted to make a hockey themed canoe using them somehow, but haven't had the ideas, or the guts, to do it yet.
I think the seats would be the first place to start with them. Just pick some really nice broken sticks, that'll look good in the boat. You won't want any of the used and abused sticks. You could also continue them onto the decks, and maybe even veneer the gunnels somehow.
If you do it, make sure you post some pictures!
Good luck!
Oshan OkaPini

Hockey stick seats

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

Nova,

Recycling any material into a project is a cool way to tie interests together. Great idea.

You asked about the 3/4" x 1-1/8" laminate being too springy. If you have any concerns about the rigidity of the seat (maybe due to the size of the paddler?) :rolling eyes
you might consider orienting the sticks vertically, with the 3/4" dimension being situated across the top. This will effectively put more material in line with the vertical forces. You may need to get creative in how you want to cane the seats, but by the time you get to them, your problem solving skills should be well honed.

Might be neat to leave the identifying markings and decals so that they can be seen on the frame.

Cheers.

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.
Dan.

Post by Dan. »

I have used hockey sticks in my whitewater tripping boat. They are much stronger than the novacraft or evergreen stock seats.
Nova Scotian

Post by Nova Scotian »

Thanks Dave...inspiration counts doesn't it.
Rob...a "broken stick collector" eh? Cool ideas - this Sunday, the guys on my team will have a place for their broken sticks. Decks, I like that idea.....decks...
Norman - no sir - I'm at my fighting weight (155 steady - always am) - just didn't want to do that without checking with others. Granted, seats are pretty replaceable. But, I'd sand those logos off.
Dan - I knew this must have been done before - best part is - I can prepare make-readies cheaply. What did you use for the rump area - cane? webbing? Nylon lacing?

Stuart
pwstndrf

Seat Webing

Post by pwstndrf »

Stuart,

I'd give rawhide lacing serious consideration. Check this site out, just about everything you'll need to do it.

:thinking

There is a past forum discussion: "Rawhide", Posted on May 20, 2005. It's worth reading

http://www.wcha.org/wcj//wc_v19_n6/rawhide.html

For materials, look at this place in Owen Sound.

http://www.cariboucry.com/storefront/fa ... ories.html

Keep your stick on the ice,

phil w
JeremyT

Post by JeremyT »

I am also using hockey stick for my seats. I have a neighbor that works for the nearby ice arena and lets me take all the boken sticks I want.
They are great for all kinds of projects. That glider rocker idea sounds pretty great!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you are thinking of using rawhide, this message might interest you:
I purchased 3 / 16 ' rawhide from Caribouncry recently. Comments as follows;

Product.......................................very unsatisfactory.

Communication...........................three E-mails by purchaser.
no replys from vendor.

Delivery......................................very late (like three weeks).

Comment....................................the material is being returned .
I purchased the 3 / 16' rawhide from Dave at
www.rawhidelace.com on friday and had the
material on tuesday and the quality is outstanding.

I can tell you more in private at fisherguytoo@volcano.net