Matte finish varnishes

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Juneaudave

Matte finish varnishes

Post by Juneaudave »

Has anyone found an exterior matte finish varnish they like? I bought a can of Interlux Goldspar (satin finish), got it home and noticed it was for interior use. Does that interior rating mean it doesn't have the UV and would be ok over several layers of regular exterior gloss? Or does the interior rating mean it simply won't work on an outside surface. I read a post last year or so that indicated you should first varnish with gloss, which provided the UV, then finish with a couple coats of the matte to get the duller finish.
mos

Post by mos »

Newfound Woodworks carries a matte varnish made by HMG.

http://www.newfound.com/varnish.htm

It has "fewer" UV inhibitors than gloss, so I figure I'll just add more coats. I have two coats
(so far) on the interior of my canoe and really like the dull finish. And it does cover up or
minimize little imperfections in the glassing job which is a good thing for me. No idea how
it will hold up over time, though.
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Interlux paint booklet says that Goldspar Satin is UV resistant, but on p.14 also say that the UV protection in their varnishes includes surface stabilizers to maintain surface gloss and color. If they don't recommend the satin Goldspar, a reason might be that the surface stabilizers aren't there in the satin version and the varnish could get cloudy and change color more quickly, but that's just my half-baked reason why. I couldn't find the reason for not using satin outside actually stated in the booklet, but the advice I got from a paint shop owner on exterior paints generally was to always use a gloss paint for durability since the surface was harder and more resistant to breakdown.

IIRC, Epifanes makes a varnish in satin for exterior use, maybe their formula includes protection that the Interlux doesn't have. If Interlux says that their varnish isn't suitable then there must be a good reason for it.

In the booklet, their helpline is 1-800-468-7589, they might be able to advise on the whys and hows.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Dave,

Check my post from March 15th. (gloss vs. semi gloss) . I got some really good feedback from it.

reinbilt
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Thanks Reinbilt...I totally "glossed" over that post!!
Bud

Post by Bud »

Dave, have you considered rubbing out the glossy finish with steel wool to achieve a matte finish? I often do this on cabinets if the sheen is too high. It is easy to do and should solve the UV protection problem of using a "from the can" matte finish. After your final coat of gloss finish is totally cured (a couple of weeks), rub it with the finest grade of steel wool that will give you the desired matte sheen using mineral spirits as a lubricant. Try it on a test piece to see how it works. It may take some practice to get an even sheen.
Bud
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

That's a good idea!!! The matte is for floor boards on a skiff. They are epoxy coated with a couple layers of varnish on them. I'm concerned they will have a lot of wear and exposure. They glossy finish would be real hard to keep up, I suppose a matte finish will be the same.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Dave,
I think most will agree that bronze wool would be a better choice than steel wool to use on a boat. Those tiny fragments will stick to the finish and rust.
Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

I have had real good luck using "scotchbrite" pads for this and between coats of varnish.