outwales and decks installation question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik

outwales and decks installation question

Post by Erik »

i have my inwales installed, and am waiting the use of a freinds shop and knowledge to make the decks. is there any reason i cannot go ahead and install the outwales? i would of coarse spread the hull amidship to the correct width. this would then also allow me to cut my seats and thwarts percisly to fit (currently extra long of coarse)

Thanks.

oh a PS... since i am intending to oil rub my gunnels, i sealed the inside of the scuppers with unthickend epoxy at the time of installation, is there any reason to attempt to put varnish or oil inside there?

Thanks again!!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you plan on using screws to hold the decks in place (even temporarily) you might want to install them before the outwales.

The scuppers won't get as much sun exposure as the rest of the boat so maybe you could forego any further finish, but I think I would prefer to finish them for reassurance.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Finish the scuppers with oil or varnish? i will be varnishing the hull and oilling the gunnels, so either will probably work... IF oil is ok over epoxy??

I was just going to epoxy the decks in place. so if that is all that matters i may as well go ahead with outwales.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I was just going to epoxy the decks in place. so if that is all that matters i may as well go ahead with outwales.
We're getting close to putting out decks in. As we shaped them to fit, it became clear that holding them in place when "lubricated" with epoxy will make them pretty slippery. I'm not sure how to hold them in place while the epoxy sets without a screw or 2 through the hull (which can be removed later). For this reason, we have left our outwales off for now and will put them on after the decks are in place.

Other ideas for holding the decks in place while the epoxy sets would be appreciated.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Patricks Dad,

You might think of using Dragons Teeth to help you in clamping. I don't have a picture, but there are some on this site. It looks like a helpful tool. It might also reduce the number of screws you will need during glueing.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm less worried about keeping clamps in place (plan to use draggon's teeth) but was pondering keeping the deck itself in place. It appears that it will have a tendency to slide out as the hull is squeezed in from the sides. I guess a block of wood clamped to the hull just behind the deck (on each side) would hold it in place.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
STINGRAY8T

Post by STINGRAY8T »

I used a bar clamp to pull the deck up tight against the inner stem. Then I positioned the deck and put in 2 scres on each side. This allowed me to get it perfect while dry. I then epoxied the bottom of the deck, let it dry, then epoxied onto the hull. I cut an angle fron a scrap of wood and put a piece of sandpaper between it and the hull and applied pressure with bar clamps between the screws. It came out perfectly aligned. I was hoping not to use screw but I figured it would be covered by the outwales later on. For some reason that I can't explain, I filled in the screw holes with a dowel before clamping on the outwales.

It worked for me.
Erik

Post by Erik »

never really thought about keeping the darnd deck in place while epoxy set... hmmm some clamped wood under the gunnel might be the only way...

as far as the dragons teeth, i guess that getting the "flats" where your clamp will sit are not critical... i was just going to glue up some scraps and make them pretty rough, doesnt have to be perfect... right ?!?
Erik

Post by Erik »

Patricks Dad wrote:I'm less worried about keeping clamps in place (plan to use draggon's teeth) but was pondering keeping the deck itself in place. It appears that it will have a tendency to slide out as the hull is squeezed in from the sides. I guess a block of wood clamped to the hull just behind the deck (on each side) would hold it in place.
I ended up using Gorilla glue, that stuff is amazing. any way, glued the edges of the decks and slipped them in place. a single clamp outside the hull with a single set of dragons teeth kept the decks in place very nicely, they didnt want to slip and slide at all, i think because the glue is more viscus than epoxy.