Wood Options for Stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sossman

Wood Options for Stems

Post by sossman »

I'm starting a Bob's and using as much of my own lumber as possible. It is all airdried over many years. I'll be using white pine for the planking,with some accent strips of black walnut. Probably use walnut for the decks, seats and thwart. I see cherry is mentioned as an option for the stems. I have quite a bit of apple, and also red oak. Anyone have any opinions on any of these wood choices, esp. apple in place of cherry for the stems. I even have osage orange, though I don't see any use for that. I will try to find some long ash for the gunwales so I don't have to scarf them.
Sossman
Dean in Eureka, CA

Re: Wood Options for Stems

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

sossman wrote:I will try to find some long ash for the gunwales so I don't have to scarf them.
Hey Sossman,
You're in luck!
I was going to do that, but I would have had to have tha ash shipped out from the east coast.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Rod Tait

stems

Post by Rod Tait »

Pretty much any wood can be used for stems, since you really don't require any long lengths. I've used almost all kinds of woods in canoes or kayaks (kayaks less bending). I think the main thing to consider is the grain orientation in the wood and ability to steam well, since you are going to be bending it. You will want a nice straight grain piece with little or no run out so that it will not snap on you
sossman

Bending

Post by sossman »

Thanks fotr the tips. Think I will go with red oak. After some research, it looks tried and true, bends well, and I have enough to find some straight grained pieces
Sossman
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

Be careful with oak. I understand that it doesn't work with epoxy very well. If you epoxy your laminates together they may separate in the future. Same for the glass that covers them.
Jack in Stoughton