Hi! and an update

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Peter Hyde

Hi! and an update

Post by Peter Hyde »

Hi everyone.
I used to lurk around this forum a lot when I built my Chestnut Prospector about 4 years ago, So here is an update.
Although not used as much as I would like because of lack of free time the canoe has really lived up to expectations. I still get immense pleasure using it on some local rivers and lakes on weekends.
It has survived unscathed from being dropped from a roof rack (twice) and running across razor sharp submerged concrete rocks under a highway constuction project.
I decided I would do a re-varnish this week and also build a couple of paddles.
The original varnish was a 2 part polyurethane from Interlux and it has really stood up well. The cocrete rocks cut into the varnish but didnt cut the fibreglass mat. The varnish is as hard as epoxy and although very expensive I feel it has been a good investment. It is formulated to go over epoxy and also has good UV blockers.
So a good wash and a light sand with some 240 grit wet and dry was all that was needed, I diluted the varnish mix with about 30% thinner and used a "Critter" spray gun.
Also coated the new paddles with it and am very pleased with the end results.
Good Paddling!
Peter Hyde :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi, Peter, thanks for posting your results. The Interlux product, I'll be checking out, along with the Endura that Gord described earlier. Is there any info on how often the finish has to be re-applied to keep the UV blockers working?