Rice Lake Skiff Transom Position

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Juneaudave

Rice Lake Skiff Transom Position

Post by Juneaudave »

I'm putting the molds up for the Rice Lake Skiff. The plan view shows the back of the transom 10.5 inches aft of the Station 13 (the plans assume a 1.5 inch. thick transom). The profile view shows the bow side of the transom at 1 ft. per the rest of the stations (which would put the aft side of the transom at 13.5 inches). Has anyone reconciled this difference? Interesting seeing the molds go up on this boat. It took me 4 sheets of particle board to cut the molds. It's almost surprizing for me to see the differneces in the shape of this craft as opposed to the Bob's Special I build last winter. It ought to really special once built.
Steve Killing

Rice Lake Transom

Post by Steve Killing »

The aft face of the transom on the Rice Lake skiff is indeed 10.5" aft of station 13. It is dimensioned that way on the plan view. When I look at the profile view it looks to be the same dimension as the plan view - still 10.5". The spacing from station 13 to the inside of the transom is not a full 12".

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Steve Killing
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Steve...Thanks..That helps a lot...I checked with a fairing board on a full sized temp mold located at 9 inches and I thought that was correct. Another question...mold three shows a cutout at the keel to capture the inside stem. Seems like it might be better to leave the cutout in so that a fellow could put a temp screw through the mold to the inside stem to hold it in place while stripping...Thoughts?...Juneaudave