Buffing the varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Lisa in BC

Buffing the varnish

Post by Lisa in BC »

Do any of you buff the final coat of Varnish? If so what do you use to do it?
JimND

Post by JimND »

I buff when I want a really glossy finish. It is best to use a product made specifically for the purpose. I would shy away from waxes because some have silicone that can cause you fits later when you want to revarnish. One of the easier ones to find in most auto parts stores is Meguiar's, I think it is called something like Fine Cut Cleaner. The store person can guide you to it. It comes in different grades of cut, from fine to coarse or something like that. If you are just trying to get a high gloss, the finer ones will work well. If you are trying to remove minute scratches, etc. then you will have to start coarser and work you way up to fine. These contain no wax or silicone and are compatible with virtually all petroleum based finishes, which varnish is.
philz

Re: Buffing the varnish

Post by philz »

No, I don't buff.
philz
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

John Michne has some notes on polishing varnish. Check out the article called "Building the Wee Lassie II" under his building notes. His site is http://www.michneboat.com/