Precoating

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
chasmitc

Precoating

Post by chasmitc »

Is there any point in precoating gunnels and thwarts with epoxy before varnishing? :roll:
Charlie
Glen Smith

precoating

Post by Glen Smith »

Oh no, not that question again :!:

If you used ash then it could be prone to a black fungus problem if it is not covered with three coats of epoxy before varnishing. However, some people don't like the "plastic" look of the epoxy coating. Some builders don't even varnish the trim, they use an oil product instead and apply frequently.

My Hiawatha is stored outside and the ash trim is only coated with varnish. After one season the outwales are pretty well covered with the black fungus even though I applied four coats of varnish. The inwales and seats are also ash but with the canoe being stored inverted they are not "exposed" and there is no sign of fungus after four years.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Glen
I was depending on you. I want to keep maintenance to a minimum, so I think a precoat or 2 of epoxy should do the trick. I have a few more probably repeat questions, if I may. Is your Armorcoat Spar varnish still holding up OK? :roll:
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Armourcoat Spar Varnish is holding fine. It has turned more amber than it was after the application but that's what spar varnishes do. It still has its shine so it is still doing its job.

I'll tell you why I suggest three coats of epoxy before varnishing. With just one coat, you will sand through in spots and end up with just varnish in those spots. With two coats, you just might miss a spot on the second coat then sand through and just have varnish (it has happened to me) and you will still get the dreaded black fungus on ash. With three coats of epoxy you decrease the odds of having "missed spots". Of course three coats of epoxy will add a bit more weight to the finished boat but it does reduce maintenance.