Best Solo Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Moonman

Best Solo Canoe

Post by Moonman »

Thinking about my next boat, probably a solo. I was wondering what designs people think would be best for wilderness flatwater trips. I've looked at the Osprey, Merlin etc. Also, I looked at the Laughing Loon Solo Portage. 30 lbs sounds very light. Anyone paddled one of these? I was wondering about its handling/tracking characteristics.

Thanks,

Moonman.
DortoH

Post by DortoH »

I took out my Rob Roy for the first time yesterday. You might want to look at it as well.

Very easy to handle solo canoe for a double paddle. It was a bit wobbly at first but that is more my lack of skill than any fault of the canoe :).

Mine came in at 26-27 lbs.
Erik, Belgium

solo canoe

Post by Erik, Belgium »

If you are slightly heavier then average, or like to paddle with a load once in a while as well... consider a 38Special. Plans from Al Gustavson on www.northwestcanoe.com
This is a merlin, which was enlarged for 3.8%, hence the name 38special.
See my building log on http://users.pandora.be/kano-kayak
JimA

Post by JimA »

As with any boat, your choice depends on your intended use and preferred paddling style.

If you prefer the "sit and switch" paddling style and cover a fair number of miles, look at the Solo Tripper on this web site or Baracuda by John Winters (Red Wing Designs or Green Valley Boat website - sorry, I don't have the links)

I built a "modified" Baracuda (16' 9" vs 17' 3" and 1" deeper); it responds very well to a quick (60 - 70) stroke rate, but some would say it is "tippy". I find it rock solid but my wife finds it so unnerving she won't even try it (after 2 dumps). Again, take a close look at the Solo Tripper by Bear Mtn.

The Osprey, also a Winter's design, is designed more for tripping and also looks like a real nice boat. I can't speak for the Merlin or many other designs.

Good luck!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I love solo boats, and I've paddled a few. I currently own a Bell Wildfire, Bell Magic, and a modified Wee Lassie. The Merlin is a good boat that is very pretty, and would be great for flatwater tripping, like in the Boundary Waters. We just built a Soul Mate solo from Carrying Place Canoe Works. It turned out nice, although it seems like it has more volume in the ends than the solos that I've paddled. I also have the plans for the Elan by Red River Canoe. They also have a canoe called the Red Fox, which looks to be a good tripping boat. The Elan built in the 14' version would be good for tripping. I love the look for their Espirit.

I was thinking about building the Elan as a folder, but ended up building a S&G version of my S-O-F, which I'm almost done striping the deck. I'm hoping to glass the deck by the end on the day Tuesday.

BTW, I've paddled the Osprey also, which is a good canoe, but I like the look of the Merlin better. I would passed on the 38 Special unless you weigh over 240 and plan on lugging along 50 or 60 pounds of gear.

Here are some links for you:

http://www.wilds.mb.ca/redriver/rrcpcsol.html

http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.on.c ... _kits.html

Good luck with picking a canoe to build,

Bryan
Moonman

Bell Plans?

Post by Moonman »

Bryan,

Thanks for the good info (and everyone else as well). The Bell canoes you mentioned - I've looked at them before - are your boats strippers or kevlar/glass? If they are strippers, where did you get the plans. I've searched before and haven't seen anyone selling plans for any or the Bell boats.

Thanks,

Moonman.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The Bell boats that I own are Kelvar and Royalex. You won't find the plans for them -- they keep the plans under a tight lock. The Merlin was a Bell boat until they had Yost design the Merlin II. But the Merlin still has that Bell look to it. I just did a quick search on the web for David Yost solo canoe plans and didn't find anything. If you want that Bell look, I would do the Merlin.

Bryan
Scott O

Post by Scott O »

I built a Green Valley Osprey last winter and have had a while to paddle it. It is a nice boat, but if you are paddling it empty, you will need good solo paddle technique. It does not track straight naturally. I have paddle the Mad River Independence (Kevlar), which is a fantastic solo canoe for flat water. So, while I like my Osprey, if I had it to do over again, I would probably build the 38 special. I think it would be easier to paddle and a faster boat.
Scott
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Thanks Scott. I was wondering which hull would be faster. Still, If anyone has a review of the Solo Portage by Laughing Loon Canoes, I'd love to hear it.

Moonman.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The Solo Portage -- I have not paddled this -- seems a little shallow in the center. It is only 10 and 1/2 inches deep. That means that when you load it, you will have less freeboard. In a solo canoe, I feel fine with 6 inches of freeboard, but perfer around 8". I really like the sheerline of the boat. It is very pretty. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a study plan to look at on his site, so I can't be anymore help than this.

Bryan