Making a Living Building Canoes

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
algonquin

Making a Living Building Canoes

Post by algonquin »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I have just recently entered the realm of building and restoring cedar strip and canvas canoes. Currently I am learning the art from an established canoe builder on a casual basis.

Does anyone here make a living off of building and restoring canoes? Would anyone be kind enough to offer advice, or to share their story? I am interested in building canoes of all types eventually, but I've decided that learning to build wood canoes would be a good place to start. I have no illusions; I would be perfectly happy living a humble existence with a small workshop. However, I could see myself manufacturing canoes on a larger scale years down the road.

Personally, I am fairly young, and have grown tired of my chosen profession. The notion of immersing myself into a world that I currently enjoy leisurely, is romantic and very appealing.

Thanks,
Algonquin
Erich

Post by Erich »

Hi Algonquin

There are a few questions you need to ask yourself.

Where are you located in Ontario? Near a large city?
Is there market for hand built canoes and kayaks?
Do you have the skill and experience to build and repair all types of watercraft?
How big is your shop?
Do you have the $5,000 to $10,000 for all the tools you need?
Do you have a market for canoes that will cost anywhere from $2,000 to more than $10,000?
Can you build cedar canvas and strippers and repair them?
Can you get a vender's permit in your area, a PST Number and GST Number?
These are a few that need to be answered before you can even consider a business.

I have a small business building canoes and kayaks. I run a school for people that want to build a craft. They use my shop and tools to build a craft in about 25 weeks. I guide them through the process and they do all the grunt work. We have build over 25 canoes and kayaks in the last 6 years. I can tell you that this is great hobby but will not make enough to pay bills other than those for the school supplies and a little for me.

Best of luck in your future endeavour,

Regards, Erich
So much water. So little time.
hoz

instant canoe business

Post by hoz »

try contacting Navarro Canoes: http://www.navarrocanoes.com/index.php

a couple of weeks ago they wer advertising the company for sale.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
randall

Post by randall »

Hi Algonquin
I have built a couple of strip boats but do not make them for a living. However I am a self-employed boatbuilder working from my own workshop, tho not in the same hemisphere as you. Perhaps some of my advice may help.
My web site shows the nice interesting work that I do BUT it does not show what I call "Bank Manager Work". Bank manager work is work that you may not like so much but without it the bills don't get paid. Basically it is work that keeps the bank manager off your back! For me it could be scrapping/repairing an oyster barge, crawling around a bilge installing a toilet, etc. The point I am trying to make is that to be self employed in the boatbuilding industry means you must do whatever is required to be able to earn a crust that pays the bills.
Your workshop has to make a minimum turnover each month to sustain whatever lifestyle you are aiming for. New ordered is the best (this is where you get paid for being artistic and having fun). It is highly unlikely you will have continious new work when starting up. Spec boats are needed to be able to have a product to sell but while building them you have no income. This is where "bank manager work" comes in. Make sure your monthly commitments are met BEFORE you indulge in spec work. I do about 75% of my own work and 25% bank manager work. These figures were once reversed.
Do a business plan to figure out your required monthly earnings then do whatever it takes to reach that quota. Lady down the road wants some chairs fixed? Do it. Guy wants his plastic boat repaired? Fix it.
Can you be self employed? Of course you can! You are young enough to fall on your face a few times and still get back up. Go for it.
A saying that I like:
"You are better for having tried and failed than never having tried at all"
Cheers
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Algonquin,
Boy, would I like to do this for a living too. Here in the Flathead valley there are two full time Strippers: Heritage Canoes and Morely's Canoes. Greg Morely is actually in the Swan Valley, but close enough. The guy who owns Heritage works out of his garage, and gets between 10 and 20 k for his boats. They are works of art and I doubt they ever see the water. Mr. Morely gets between 4 and 10+ k for his boats and I believe most of his customers actually get them wet. Mr. Morely and his son have been at the business for something like 20+ years and told me they do like 6 boats a year or so, if I remember correctly. He was pretty tight-lipped when I went to see him, a nice fellow though and builds very nice canoes.

I had correspondance with a gentleman named Phillip Greene out of South Carolina who builds absolutely beautiful stuff that he gets some amazing money (deservedly so) for. He has an apprentice program. You can see the info at: http://www.woodsongcanoes.com/apprentice_program.htm

Good luck in your endeavors. They always say:"Follow your dreams and the money will follow."

Greg