Outer Gunwales...Help!!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KARKAUAI

Outer Gunwales...Help!!!

Post by KARKAUAI »

I'm stuck and frustrated! I'm trying to put the port outer gunwale on, and can't seem to get it to meet up with the starboard gunwale at the stems. The starboard one went on very easily with the help of some weights hanging on the 1.5 ft extension on either end. I've tried everything I can think of to clamp the port one on, but nothing wants to stay on the angle created bythe two gunwales. I've tried using triangular blocks to make a square surface for the clamp to make contact with...slides off the end. I've tried using sandpaper with adhesive on the blocks, but the adhesive slides off. I've tried using my trusty rubber Eschmark bandages, but they roll off the end of the canoe. I've tried bending the wood (with a heat gun...works pretty well), but after bending and rebending several times, I can't seem to get it to fall in place without a twist in the gunwale, which still requires pretty tight clamping. Does anybody have a trick for this procedure...Pictures? I've wasted a whole day futzing around with it and need some advice. Thanks in advance. Kent
Glen Smith

Springing outwale

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Kent, are you NOT able to keep it against the hull or are you NOT able to keep it following the sheerline or both?

A small clamp (2") placed on the outwale only (top & bottom) could act as a stopper to prevent clamps from sliding off as you pull it toward the hull. You might want to put some small wood blocks under the clamp jaws to protect the outwale.

To pull it towards the sheerline I used a board across the canoe as shown in Canoecraft on page 166.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Thanks Glenn,
No problem following the sheer line. Pulling it flush with the hull is my problem. I've made it more difficult by gluing a block in the end of the canoe for a painterline hole, so I can't clamp closer than about 6" from the end. My outwales are only 1/2" thick, and 2 1/2 " high, and I've already beaded the outer edges. Not sure I can get a clamp to hold from top to bottom, but I'll give it a try. Any other ideas? Next time, I'll dry fit both of them before I glue anything on. I was thinking about gluing an extension to the outside of the outwale and using a weight on that to pull it into position, but that'll mean grinding the extension off, and hoping the glue doesn't soak in enough to cause a problem with the finish. I'll let you know what I end up doing, and how it works.
Kent
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

A set of dragons teeth is what you need! You make them with two or three wedges fastened to a length of strip 18 or 20in. long.... These are then clamped to the hull and the outside of the outwhale, as you're installing the outwhale, the wedges provide a place to clamp... I wish I could post a picture, as I'm sure you would get the drift!... I use them when installing outwhales without screws, it works great!.... Good luck!.., Maybe Glen could post a picture, as I know he knows!!
Glen Smith

Dragons teeth

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Jim,

If you email me the photo I can post it here for you. I've never heard the term "dragons teeth".
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

Of course you put a layer of masking tape or what ever, to keep the dragons teeth from becoming a permanet thing!..
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

I don't have a photo but a drawing would work, I'll see what I can do!
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I'd like to see a sketch, Jim, sounds interesting. Were you a Knight in shining armor back in the days of yore? Haven't seen a dragon for years now. Kent
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

Sorry guys!!.. My scanner is down!.. At one time there was a post on this site that had a photo, but that was moons ago!... I'm a sternsman on a Dragoon boat!... I stern for the IDBA, Iowa Dragon Boat Association.. Is that close?... It,s lots of fun!... Ihope someone else can post a picture! Erik or Dave!..

Post by Guest »

I have a couple of photos showing the jigging I used to mount my outwales.
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/lwest/www/Bob ... s. Larry
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Thanks, Larry, I tried this with sandpaper that has adhesive backing, but the adhesive just slid off. Do you glue paper to the angle blocks with wood glue, or something else?
Kent
eddie

clamps

Post by eddie »

bummer with your problem---related topic- why would anyone use a "C" clamp when there are bar clamps or pipe clamps?
ed-n-lou in P.G.
eddie
Lou-n-I would like to have company for a northern B.C. wilderness trip this summer
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Kent,
Try using Weld Wood Contact Cement to glue your sandpaer on.
It is made by Dap. You brush it on both surfaces, let it dry and then stick the two together. I did have the sandpaper on one slip about 1/4" one time when doing an angled glue up, but the slipage was caused from not letting the glue dry for the full 15 minutes or letting the completed glue up cure long enough after sticking the sandpaper onto the wood.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
KARKAUAI

Outwales...problem solved

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Eddie,
C-clamps all along the gunwales till you get to where you need something that will span the whole canoe. I like 6" C's because they have a fairly large clamping surface that won't dent hardwoods unless you really have to crank them down hard. I always use wooden blocks if I'm clamping softwoods.

I finally got this done by clamping a 3 ft. piece of wood outside the outwale with 1.5 ft extending beyond the stem, then hung a 20 lb. wt on the end of the extension, using a clamp to offset the angle of pull so that it drew the outwale down and twisted it into position. Whew...biggest problem I've had so far out of the way. On to the splash guard and inlay on the deck, then the amas. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Kent
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Hi Kent –

See my web site, http://michneboat.com for discussion about gunwales. Click on Builder’s Corner, and then scroll down to the gunwale link.

- John