Outer stem and Keel as one

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Nachako

Outer stem and Keel as one

Post by Nachako »

Well it's been a year and I am starting to dream about my next boat . I resently got a quick glimps of a prospector that had the outer stem that was fitted to the keel to look as one piece . It looked sharp . But I could not get close enough to have a good look or talk to the builderMy question is When glassing the outside hull would you have to attach the outside stems afterwards ( prefitting and shaping first of course. ) Has anyone tried this here . What should I look out for. Thanks Paul :thinking
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Paul, Canoecraft revised edition on page 136 there are two small photos showing two different methods of blending the keel in to the outer stems. One of these methods would produce the result you describe if the wood is closely matched.

In both cases the outer stems are installed before the hull is glassed and the keel is installed after the wetout coat of epoxy has been applied. You have to do a dry run first to blend the keel and stems. The outer stems and keel do not get glassed, only epoxy coated, but you could always apply bias cut strips to the stems after.