Tapering Outwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Nachako

Tapering Outwales

Post by Nachako »

I plan on tapering my outwales to a point and was wondering ? If I was better to steam bend my outwale then go at them with a hand plain or to rough them out before steam bending.
Glen Smith

Tapering Outwales

Post by Glen Smith »

If you taper them first this means there will be less wood to bend making that part of the job a bit easier. If your outwales are also bevelled, Ted recommends tapering the side that will be in contact with the hull. If not bevelled you can taper the outer side.
Rod Tait

outwales

Post by Rod Tait »

Depending on the design you are building and how much sheer line curve there is, steam bending the outwale may not always be necessary after you taper the ends. It may bend enough anyways.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Experiment with a heat gun...much easier and less hassle than steam.
Kent
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

On my Bob's, the curve was gentle enough I didn't have to steam them. Also, when I cut the tapers, I thought about cutting them on the table saw, but ended up building a quick jig and used a straight router bit on my workbench to hog out most the material, then finished with the plane. I already had the router out from cutting scuppers.
Nachako

Tapering Outwale

Post by Nachako »

I guess I should have let you know what I was bending them for. It's for a Redbird of course. I thought that was a given Isn "t everyone these days building one ( MY Joke ) Anyways thanks for your rely's Guys . One of my main worries was hanging on to them and no having them twist when I was clamping them after they were steamed . But we'll giver a go.