Seat size

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Andy Meyer

Seat size

Post by Andy Meyer »

Alright...
How big should the seats be???????
I am about to start cutting my frames (from walnut) for my seats which are to be hand caned. The sizes I've seen say 10x7 which seems tiny. I am planning on using 1" walnut frames which are curved upward (centers higher than edges) on the sides and curved downward on the front and back to give some depth and hopefully comfort to the seats. I'm planning on about 1/4" of curvature. I'm thinking 13x9 looks about right... Thoughts? Anyone out there who can run and measure thier seats real quick as well as tell me if the size is right or needs to be a bit bigger or smaller.

Thanks!

Andy
http://mil-amax.com/ameyer/canoe
Glen Smith

Seat Size

Post by Glen Smith »

Canoecraft suggest outer dimensions of 15" X 10". For my Hiawatha I made them 15" X 12". The frame is made with 1.5" wide wood so the interior dimensions are 12" X 9". Very comfortable.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I made Gilpatrick style trapazodal seats while I was stripping my canoe last winter. They are described as "ample" in size and are very comfortable..... Unfortunately, they were also too wide to be positioned correctly in the stern when I went to fit them...oops! Lesson learned...make sure your oversized seats will fit where they are supposed to...Juneaudave

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem with my first canoe the juneaudave had. I made the seat somewhat oversize for a Bob's and the stern seat wouldn't quite fit where it was supposed to. Make sure you can place them where they're supposed to go.
Dave