Deck Inlay

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KARKAUAI

Deck Inlay

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, All,
I'm ready to start the inlay on the deck of my Ulua, and wanted to read again about how to go about it. I was experimenting a little with strips and contact paper, but can't seem to get the whole thing to stay together when I trace the outline to the deck. The contact paper just has too much "give" to it. I remember a link somebody gave me on the old forum that explained in some detail how to go about it, but my laptop's down, and I didn't save the link to my desktop. The slightly rounded shape of the deck makes it a little harder, too. I was thinking of using a sheet of veneer with a sticky backing instead of using strips. I'll glass over the whole deck after inlay is done. Does anybody know where I can find small sheets of veneer (say 8x10 or 10x12")?
Mahalo,
Kent
Glen Smith

Veneer source

Post by Glen Smith »

You can get a pizza box of veneer from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... ncy=2&SID=

Is this the site you referred to for the inlay process?: http://www.heritagecanoes.com/Inlay_process1.html
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Yeah, Glenn, that's it. Thanks. I'd forgotten that he cut out the recess first, then cut and fit each piece. Arrrrgh...I'm not sure I have the patience for that. Can't I just cut out a piece of veneer to shape, trace around it on the deck with an exacto knife, rout out the recess, and glue it down? I'd think that I'd want something at least 1/16th thick so I can sand without going thru the veneer. What about "onlay" with thin veneer? How's that look and how hard is it to get a nice-looking job?
I'll check out the veneer link, too. Thanks again, Kent
Glen Smith

Inlays and onlays

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Kent, I have never done any inlays or onlays myself. I have seen several of both on the internet. Some do the inlay work by tracing around it with an exacto knife as you suggest. As for onlays, the gripes I have read are about having bubbles around the onlay or sanding into it and making a mess. Some have formed a "ramp" around the onlay with epoxy that is just about to kick so that it is thicker and holds its shape. It works if you are lucky from what I have seen.

Keep us posted.