Fiberglass at LAST!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
canoeblderinmt

Fiberglass at LAST!!

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Hello all,
Been a crazy summer of work and travel, and not much progress on the 20 foot White. Last night as the snow fell gently on the hills above Eureka, MT, epoxy resin and glass cloth became one with cedar strips. I was very nervous about glassing this beast alone, but it worked out OK, I think. 7 batches of resin and a few shiny spots but I think I'll be allright. Now a few days to cure so I can sand down the wraps around the ends (no stems) and scratch up the rest for the filler coats. Then I can finally flip this thing over! Here's a pic or two:

I flipped the picture of the eagle so you can see what it will look like when the boat is right side up.

Thanks all of you who have written about your fiberglassing successes and tips, they really helped last night.

Greg
Last edited by canoeblderinmt on Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The "Iggle" looks great Greg! You seem to have done a very good glassing job for someone working alone on such a big boat. You have done this before, right?
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Glen, thanks for the encouragement. This is my second boat. I think having it only about 65 or so in the shop helped slow the cure time down a bit. I can't wait to get this girl in the water, but it looks like I'll have to be wearing a wetsuit when I do!
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Three coats and counting! I rolled on the two filler coats after fairing in the stem wrap-arounds. I haven't rolled before. It is a quick way of getting epoxy to the sides and not messy, but it seems to leave the epoxy a little "pocked" in spots. I smoothed everything out last night about 12:30 with a squeegie as it was setting and that helped. I'm going to do one more partial coat today to help smooth out the rought spots and ensure that have enough epoxy on. Also, in the right light, the football is visible, but nothing to do for it now. I'm hoping it's just the harsh light of the flourescents, but hey, it's going to be in the water, right? Here are the results so far: