Station 7 on Prospector

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Woody

Station 7 on Prospector

Post by Woody »

I am in the process of setting up the form to build a Prospector 16. I have cut out all the stations based on the plans but I am unsure of station 7. As per the plans, I subtracted half the width of the stem mold (which is 3/4 inch plywood). When I hold station 7 up the specified location on the stem mold (the place where it is supposed to attach to the side of the stem mold) the top of the station does not quite make it up to the top of the stem mold (it actually goes up the the design water line). This does not look correct to me, especially since station 6 comes up to the point at which it will be flush with the stem once it is installed.

I was hoping to talk with someone who has build this boat before I start planking. I have checked and re-checked the size of my stations and stem molds with the plans and they are dead on. Am I missing something here?

Any input would be appriciated
Glen Smith

Half-stations

Post by Glen Smith »

I have not built the Prospector but if the half-stations are installed with the waterline and the sheerline in the correct locations then it should be OK. I have occasionally had to "reshape" or reposition these half-stations in order to obtain the fair lines I wanted at the ends.
Woody

thanks

Post by Woody »

Thanks Glen,

I guess the best thing for me to do is check out the curves along the stem with a some of the planking material before I begin to glue in the planks.
Vern Spokane WA

Post by Vern Spokane WA »

Woody
I just completed a 16' Prospector. I adjusted number 7 so that the top of the station was even with the stem. However, the mold material was only 1/2 inch. I would take a look at the side profile of the stem to mold line as to see it that flows.
I ended up removing a lot of inner stem material off to get a nice fit as I laid the strips.
Good Luck and take your time with the strongback set up and make sure and tie all the tops of the forms molds together before any strips are laid. So the forms stay nice and plumb.

Vern