New wedges for stapleless

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
pake

Post by pake »

Sorry for the double post, I thought my page timed out.
"I've heard the pipes of Pan..."
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Pake,
I've used some clear packing tape that I've urn into a problem with. When I wait 24 hours to pull the tape off, a lot of the glue stays on the boat, especially if I'm taping off some previously epoxied area to keep drips from getting on the hull. What brand/type of tape are you using, and have you had that problem?
Mahalo
A hui ho,
Kent
pake

Post by pake »

Aloha, Karkauai !

To answer your question, I've never encountered the problem you describe but I've also never used this product to mask off other areas. For masking or taping off I use blue masking tape because it doesn't leave residue. For using tape as a clamp, I use filament strapping tape. The stuff I'm using now is Sparco, approx 3/4 inch wide (available at office supply stores), but I'm sure 3M and others make it. It is incredibly strong and removes easily. I have left it in place overnight and not had removal problems. Once in a while, a few strands of filament remain but they too are easily removed. Any glue residue that remains is taken care of during the sanding/faring phase.

It's been 25 years since I've seen Hawaii, but I remember it as an enchanting place with happy people. Best of luck with your projects!

Pake
"I've heard the pipes of Pan..."