Biscuits & Epoxy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Dean in Eureka, CA

Biscuits & Epoxy

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

I bought a biscuit cutter today for another project I'm doing... A teardrop trailer.
I see that these biscuits are compressed and rely on the water from wood glue to make them swell up tight. We all know that epoxy and water are a No-No... Has anyone here ever used biscuits and thickened epoxy together?
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

My biscuit jointer manual says epoxy is ok but not a first choice. I don't see why it would not work. Almost all the time that I am using biscuits, I am joining boards for a panel and I am more concerned with alignment, as opposed to strength. I usually have a nice fit between the boards with very few gaps. The thing I do wrong...and I know it, but can't help myself... is that I overtighten the clamps and squeeze out too much glue. That may be more of a problem with epoxy than you have with plain old carpenter's glue.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Why not use Gorilla Glue? It's waterproof, very strong, and uses water to set. A couple of coats of varnish over the project should be a good waterproofing.

Of course, I'd be using mortise and tenon, but I like cutting and fitting joints....

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."