Rob Roy Seat location

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
woodworkerdb

Rob Roy Seat location

Post by woodworkerdb »

I am ready to install a seat in my Rob Roy and am wondering what others have done as far as making the seat permanent or removeable? The pictures I have seen of other Rob Roys mostly don't show any seats in them. What I'm thinking about doing is to epoxy 2 rails on the bottom of the canoe and mount an adjustable seat, any comments would be helpfull thanks, dale

Post by Guest »

On my Wee Rob I did a seat like on the Wee Lassie (a center piece over the keel area that the seat screws to), but did have to move it a bit later on. Two parallel rails on the sides that allow you to move it back and forth a few inches to get the balance you want sounds like a good idea. I balanced my inverted and otherwise finished hull on a piece of PVC pipe to get a good idea of where the balance point was, marked this with tape, and then used that information to determine where to put the seat.