finnishing question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
boatman

finnishing question

Post by boatman »

I am about ready to epoxy my ash gunwales, thwarts, etc on my freedom 17. Question--Should I just paint a couple of layers of epoxy on the wood (sanding between each coat) or do I need to thin the epoxy before painting? If it needs to be thinned, what do I thin it with and by how much. Is 3 coats of epoxy enough?

Also, how many coats of varnish should I apply and how much should I buy for a 17 foot freedom. (1 quart, 2 quaarts, etc)

Thanks
Glen Smith

Finishing

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Boatman,

I would apply three coats, no thinning required, sanded between coats.

Four coats of varnish inside and out should be fine if applied by brush. Two quarts will do the job.
boatman

glen-question

Post by boatman »

glen-

Can you tell me what kind of varnish you use? Also, I think you use wet sanding. Can you tell me how to do this. I presume it is better than regular sanding.

Thanks
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My favourite varnish although I haven't tried them all is Epifanes. I thin it 10% using the Epifanes special thinner and apply it with a foam brush. I have only wet-sanded one boat so far. It produces less dust but it makes a mess on the basement floor. I normally go over the dried varnish coats with a scouring pad instead of sandpaper. I usually apply four coats and coat number three gets applied as soon as number two is dry to the touch without scuffing. I scuff coat number three after 24 hours and try for a perfect fourth coat. I always scuff the first coat.

With some epoxy and varnish combinations it can take up to three days for the first coat to dry. The next coats all dry in normal time. It is best to allow the last coat of epoxy to cure for a week or two before varnishing.

Post by Guest »

Boatman and Glen,

I am going to start varnishing my Redbird next week with Epifines and have a couple of questions.

Boatman,
You are epoxying your gunnels and other wood? I was under the assumption that "we" should do the 50% varnish then 10% varnish then multiple coats of 0-5% to all non-fiberglassed wood. As I understand for Canoecraft that is the "recommended" way to go.

Glen,
Do you have a preference for either way, and which am I going to have the most success with? Also, I know you posted before the scrubber type you used between varnish coats but could you tell us again?

Thanks to all for their advice over the past 15 months. Even with only a few questions all my questions were answered through this site. keep it up.

BORINN
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I now apply at least three coats of epoxy on ASH gunwales before varnishing. Ash is prone to a black fungus and varnish only will not always prevent its appearance. Some builders don't like the "plastic" look of the epoxied gunwales and regularly wipe on an oil based product instead.

I use Epifanes thinned 10% and I follow Ted's recommended application method but I use a foam brush. The scouring pads I use are from Lee Valley: Image. Here is the link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... ncy=1&SID=. I use the grey ones.