Rice Lake Skiff progress

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cyril Gosse

Rice Lake Skiff progress

Post by Cyril Gosse »

I had typed up a progress report on the skiff and was in the process of reviewing it when there it was GONE. I think I should stick to woodworking and leave the computers to others. Here is the link,, I will try to write an update later.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/CyrilGosse/
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Hey Cy

That's quite a nice piece of work - good progress.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Cyril, does the outer stem have the same width all along or does it taper in width a bit? I like the way you keyed in the keel.
Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

Hopefully I can complete this and post it without losing it . The Rice Lake skiff is progressing well .There are some pics posted although as you will notice they are posted in the wrong order.
The pics show the method I used for attaching the forms to the strongback and the supports that were used. Since I have a KREG jig everything was attached using pocket holes and screws. I find this to be quick , strong and the forms or supports can be easily repositioned, if necessary.

If I were to build again I would increase the height of the supports from 8 in to at least 14 in . This is because the forms for the skiff are quite large and the stiffer the form the less likely they are to move when the wedges are tapped into place to hold the strips. In addition to the higher supports, I would consider attaching support pieces between the forms especially between the larger amidships forms.
The double form around the transom was an idea suggested by juneaudave and it proved to be a real help because it allowed nails to be used to hold the strips in place and since that short piece would be cut off later, the nail holes would not show. Thanks for the help juneaudave.
I found it necessary to move forms 3 and 12 , both approximately 3/8 in to maintain the fairness of the hull. This may well have been the discrepancies caused by my markings but it all seemed to work.
I cut all my strips 1 1/8 in wide, if I were to do this again I would have cut about a third of the strips around 7/8 in . The shape of the hull on the bottom up to the waterline requires some real bends which would have been easier to achieve with a narrower strip.
When the skiff was turned over and glassed on the inside I seem to have lost about 1 3/4 in across at amidships. Since there is quite a bit of it flexibility I propose to install the seats before installing the gunnels and use the seats to regain the lost inches. I think the gunnels will remove any stress induced by the seats. Any thoughts on this.

All in all things have gone well, I have read and re read most of the postings and gleaned a lot of help. The postings by juneaudave have been most helpful.
Hopefully within the next couple of weeks the skiff will be finished and I will add some more pics to the album.
Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

Glen
There is a taper in the stem but not as much as stated on the drawings. The keel is a full one inch and tapers down slightly. I will be running the boat in the small mountain lakes and sometimes the launching can be a little rough.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Cyril,
Your skiff is really shaping up nicely. Nice detail in the planking.

I have read that you should always install the gunwales and thwarts/yoke first and then the seats. It is really this framework that will determine the final shape of the hull. If you are going to attach the seats directly to the hull (I haven't seen the inside of a Laker) then I guess that would work, but it would seem to me that it would be difficult to get your measurements if you have to move the hull out every time you do a trial fit.

My thoughts,

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks for the info Cyril. On the Photobucket page you can click on "account options" at the top right of the screen then go to the album options and select the display order of the pics.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Cyril...That is looking really, really good...YOU ARE THE MASTER!!! I've been away for awhile, keep us informed as you move on...I'm really interested on how you tackle the floors (if you put in floors)...Juneaudave
Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

I am going to put floorboards in the skiff but from looking at the drawings I don't think it is going to be all that simple. I think a template will be required for each board since the only straight line is along the keelson. From the drawings I get the feeling that there are four sections , buttoned onto the keelson and joined under the amidships seat. It should be fun.
Dave,, did you put the boards in your skiff.
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Cyril,

Any idea how much the hull weighs with the gunnels installed and before you add the seats and floorboards?

Kurt
Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

Kurt
I have no way to accurately wiegh the boat but after reading your post I played around with a scale, The unit is glassed, the gunnels installed and the bow and stern seats are in place. At this time I would guess that it wieghs in at about seventy to seventy five pounds. I am hopeing that the finished boat will be about ten pounds heavier.. If anything those figures are a little high.
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Cyril,

Thanks. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about the boat once you get it in the water.

Kurt
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I did put floors in. I ended up scribing each and every piece, taking off from the keelson. I built the floor as a single section.
Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

I have posted some pics of the skiff which is now ready for the last coat of varnish on the seats. Hopefully by tomorrow night I will be able to turn it over and get started on the outside. I am using a product called Pacific Sailor which was recommended by the West System dealer.This stuff is made by Consolidated Coatings in Vancouver. So far it has lived up to it's advanced billing, on epoxy, no thinning is required. There has been very little running and coverage is good.The levelling properties are good and brush marks are gone in just a few minutes. On the inside I was not particularly careful and used a two inch cheap bristle brush and the results are exxcellent. On the outside I will exercise a little more care and have a good bristle brush. The wieght still apears to be in the seventy five pound range.

Cyril Gosse

Post by Cyril Gosse »

The skiff is finished except for the floor boards. The weather is beautiful so I figured the boards can wait,,,it is fishing time. We went up to a small mountain lake at about 3500 ft and caught a few mountain rainbow trout. The boat handles like a charm, the 30ft/lb electric motor moves it along nicely
There is an old post in the forum in which someone noted that these boats are primarily row boats and that the stern seat should be made longer to allow room to work the motor. I added about three inches and should have added more. I find that even the small motor crowds the seat. I mounted it off to one side and that gives me extra room. Next winter I will probably take the seat boards off and replace with longer ones.
Thanks for all the assistance during construction.. Looking forward to a great fishing season.
I have posted a couple of pics of the boat in the water.