Sanding Fillcoats

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
chasmitc

Sanding Fillcoats

Post by chasmitc »

I'm ready to start sanding the fillcoats prior to varnishing. I have some bumps I'd like to sand smooth. I think if I do , I'll sand into the glass. Is it hard to tell when one hits the glass and what are the consequences of sanding into the glass? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Manitoulin Charlie
Charlie
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi, Charlie,

Even though Canoecraft recommends using a scraper to take down the runs and bumps, I wasn't getting good results with this, probably due to inability on my part. I ended up using the file board shown on p. 141. With some rather dull 80-grit paper, it did not cut into the glass adjacent to the high spots, and it worked out fine in the initial smoothing. I laid the third coat of epoxy on fairly thickly, there should be enough as described in the book to allow for this.

A small random orbital sander with 120 grit was used after that for final smoothing.

You'll see white fibers showing through the epoxy if the sandpaper hits the fiberglass, and this becomes more visible through the haze if some water is applied. You don't want to sand into the glass as the white fibers will be visible after varnishing and the strength of the sheathing might be reduced.