Juniper?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Riverrat

Juniper?

Post by Riverrat »

I'm looking for alternatives to Northern White Cedar as it is so hard to find down here in South Alabama. I've run across a supply of very straight grained, clear, Juniper. Think it might work for accent stripes and such? Does anyone have any experience with it? There was a post that gave a link to comparing wood characteristics but try as I may I can't find it. I'd appreciate it if anyone can direct me to that link. I'm not sure I buy what the lumber supplier is telling me aboput Juniper being a good substitue property wise to NWC. Everything I find compares it to Eastern Red ( aromatic) Cedar.
Professionals built the Titanic; amatuers built the Ark!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

Many of us in the area have built canoes with juniper. My chief source has been, Wilson Lumber in Milton Florida. I have also purchased some outstanding lumber from Southern Cypress in Frisco City, Al 334-267-2223.
Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

Sorry, I should have realized you were asking for properties and not sources. I have used both wrc (mainly as accents) and juniper and know of many others that have used the juniper. I have every confidence it is a suitable substitute.

Post by Guest »

Rick..thanks for the link. Dell..thanks for the info. I was at Wilson yesterday and will probably go back there this week and get some Juniper. I'll also call Frisco City to see what they have. Didn't know about them. Thanks again to you both.
Pete in the Deep South

Juniper

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

There's also a supplier in Iron City.....South Georgia USA.