Ideal Family Canoe?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Grant

Ideal Family Canoe?

Post by Grant »

Hi, I'm a South African guy living in Johannesburg who seems to have got it into his head that he wants to build his family a Canoe. This may seem strange to some of you that know Johannesburg. We are about 1300 metres above sea level with very few great rivers to canoe. Our country is fairly dry and not really a boaters paradise, unless that is you wish to canoe or sail on the Indian Ocean (some fantastic beaches and lovely oceans) but about 6 hours drive for us. So back to the original idea. We often go to a super dam called Sterkfontein and do a little sailing, I have a wooden Enterprise. It's on top of the escarpment and was built to provide hydroelectric power and water to our broader Johannesburg area. It is a stunning dam, very barren, only surrounded by grassland and not frequented by many people. It is about 18 km long and 5km wide and has only two resorts on it. The dam is either calm with great hot weather or the wind blows like mad, lifting crests off all the waves. We love it. Now the big question, which Canoe do I choose. I want to canoe with my wife, she is not a great sporting person but also enjoys the water, we would love to canoe into all the bays and explore. I also have 3 sons and a foster son, 2 @ 13 years old, 1 @ 4 yrs and 1 @ 1year. So we may want to take one or two of the boys every now and again. The 13 year olds love paddling and playing on the water, so a canoe would excite them no end. I would like to take it out solo when I can get it away from the kids and wife to go flyfishing for yellowfish. Now you have it, I would love to build a Canoe, am quite a novice woodworker but am very enthusiastic. What do you think would be the most appropriate Canoe for us.
Grant
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Grant,
If you like to paddle and sail, you might consider the Hawaiian outrigger, Ulua. Can vary the length to accomodate your family, stable for fishing, and FLIES in a stiff breeze. I'm almost done with mine, my first attempt at anything like this, and it's turning out great. Go for it!!! You won't regret it.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/ulua.html
A hui ho,
Kent
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Kent,
That is one fine looking craft. I can't wait to see a picure of your wood stripped version.
Have others before you built this design with wood strips?
What does Ulua mean?
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Yep, there are a few builders out there. Gary just drew up the plans last year, so the first few are just now hitting the water. Ulua is the name of a small reef fish in the tropical pacific. I'll email you a pic or two.
A hui ho,
Kent
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Kent,
I wish I knew how to say, " My hat's off to you" in Hawaiian. Those pics are awesome! I really dig your own added touches to the trim. Those decks are wild!
I hope you have shared these pics with our buddy Glen.
Thanks for the sneak preview.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

Grant, you're calling for a very tall order! But I would start with a book, or several as I did, and go from there... "Canoe craft" is a great start! A Nick Slade has a kayak book that is a must read also! Here in the "States", material suppliers are numerous, I don't know about Africa, but," Where there is a will, there is a way!!".. A family tandem in my book calls for something in the18ft. range, what ever that coverts to metric?... and a solo around 14 to 16ft. Good Luck, and follow the Dream!!!... Jim
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Kent,
could you show some preview pics of the Ulua to us all ?
Grant

Post by Grant »

Kent hi,
Thanks for the reply, the Hawaian sounds interesting, can you send me pics I would love to see them, I have no idea how it looks. Also do you know who has plans for it. I have not done a Canoe project before so looking for as much info as possible.

Ciao Grant
Grant

Post by Grant »

Jim hi, yep you are right, trying to find the solution for a whole family's needs sure is challenging, but great. I was considering the book Canoe Craft and your reply has confirmed for me that it will be a good idea. I am unsure so far about materials and will cross the bridge when I get there. I don't think that we have as great a supply as you in the states, but I'm sure I will be able to find what I'm looking for eventually.
If I went for a Canoe do you think the 16 - 17 foot length would be ok for a family craft.
Ted mailed me some advice and suggested the Prospector or Freedom, do you know these Canoes?

Regards Grant
John in WI

Post by John in WI »

Wow Grant,

If you want a canoe for yourself, your wife, 2 teenagers, and 2 smaller kids, I'd say that you'll need one at least 20' long. A 16' or 17' canoe is ok for mom and dad and a couple small kids, but there's no way you're going to fit 6 in a canoe that size.

I would think that the best way to accomodate a crew of 6 is to build 2 canoes. I'm trying to visualize paddling with a group of kids those ages - the 13 year-olds will need to paddle or they'll bored real quick. The 4 year old will see big brothers paddling and he'll want to get into the action too. The baby will be a toddler before the canoe is finished and he'll be leaning over the side and need tending.... I really think you need to split off into 2 boats.

Are the older boys able and inclined to help? Maybe you could make a pair of boats side by side with them. Or perhaps you could make a family-style canoe and they could each make plywood solo canoes for themselves - something like a Six Hour Canoe (If you're interested, do a search for the book "Building the Six Hour Canoe", or search for "plywood canoe" to find similar designs.)

Good luck,

- John

Post by Guest »

Hi John
You are absolutely right trying to deal with the whole family in one go would be a nightmare. I would like to build a Canoe of about 16 - 17 foot. That will be appropriate for the different needs. The kids will need to be able to paddle on thier own every now and again. I want to go fishing on my own sometimes and then I would like to go exploring with my wife, just the two of us, and no children, you know time-out. So finding something that is stable enough to solo in and go fishing and stable and safe enough for the older boys, is the trick. Yet it must also be easy enough for just the two of us adults to go for a long day trip. What do you think so of the Bearmountain Redbird, I love the shape of it, but I believe it is a little too unstable for inexperienced people.

Ciao Grant
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

Gil Gilpatrick has publidhed a book entitled "Building a Strip Canoe". It contains plans for a 16' Laker which is a wide, stable canoe. I love mine! Good luck with your project. You'll find this forum a great source of help and information.
Jack in Stoughton