Attaching the inwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mvettori

Attaching the inwales

Post by mvettori »

I'm getting ready to epoxy my inwales onto the hull. I have a concern using the thickened epoxy during the installation. Having trial fit the inwales several times, I know how they bouce around the inside of the hull and rub up against the sheer line while I'm clamping and screwing them in place. I'm concerned that during the process, I'll get thickened epoxy all over the inside of the hull and make quite a mess.

Is that to be expected and will a little acetone clean it up effectively after I'm done? Is there a better way?

Mike in Phila.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Mike, I go through that every time! As soon as the inwales are installed I search for and scrape off any epoxy goo with a putty knife. Then I go over the affected areas with a rag slightly dampened with lacqueur thinner.

I suppose you could try to run some masking tape along the sheer just below where the inwales will go then tape a plastic dropcloth over the masking tape. That should take care of most of the mess.

One thing to watch out for is that any thickened epoxy that sticks to the hull or dropcloth is no longer on the inwales where it should be so you should have a bit of spare you can apply to any wiped off areas at the last instant.
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

Thanks Glen!

I've seen posts where people mention both Lacquer Thinnner and Acetone for cleanup. Is there a difference between the two?

Mike
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I'm no chemist so I can't give any details about these two products. You would probably find out more by doing a "Google" search.

I pay less for lacqueur thinner than for acetone. I have heard some complaints about some cheap lacqueur thinners having impurities and causing contamination problems.

You could also try using plain white vinegar for epoxy clean up. It smells good and isn't a hazardous product.
Rob from Hamilton

Attaching inwales

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

Hi Mike,
I had mine clamped into place, dry fit. Then I would release only a section maybe six feet long at a time, obviously starting from one end. As I would apply thickened epoxy I would clamp them up again, but a little looser - tight enough to hold but loose enough so as not to squeeze too much epoxy out. Then after the last section is done, which shouldn't take all that long, search for stray epoxy and wipe it off. Then tighten clamps accordingly, and wipe off squeeze out. My canoe was almost 18' long. It also helps if you have four hands.
As Glen says, mix a bit extra because you don't want to be scraping dirty epoxy off the floor to use!
Rob from Hamilton
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

Sounds like a good idea...thanks for all the input!

Mike
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've always gotten by without any solvents, just wipe up any excess before it starts to gel.
Acetone is used however, for epoxy clean and thinning.
Good Luck
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
ealger

Attaching inwales

Post by ealger »

Mike, perhaps you've already installed you'r inwales but there's a couple of things you can do to keep the inwales from spreading epoxy down the hull:
First see my append: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... php?t=1989 "An inwale helper".

The other thing I like to do is place piece of wood (cedar strip) cross-wise on top of the shear perhaps a foot from the stems. After you've installed the center part of the inwale and get it screwed/clamped down, then lift the ends of the inwale and place them on top of the cross-wise strips. They will hold the inwales up until you get along clamping and/or screwing down the inwales. When you get within 4' of the stem, or so, remove the cross strip and lay the inwale down on the inwale "helper" block.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Good tips Ed, I should listen to you more often! :laughing
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

We used a product that is basically a combination masking tape and drop cloth made for masking off large areas for painting. We taped it below the inwales and let the plastic drape into the canoe.

photo here

Handy stuff but you still need to do cleanup on the top side....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Bounty paper towels and laquer thinner! After I got the inwales screwed in place, I gave everything a good wiping. The inside was not finished at this point anyway so a little scraping or sanding was to be expected.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/