Canoe cart

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fisherguytoo

Canoe cart

Post by fisherguytoo »

:roll: Have any of you canoe folks had good luck with any of the canoe carts on the market today ????? :roll: Yeah, I know, WIMPY :oops: . RIGHT, and I also have a bad right arm so getting my 17 footer over my head is really tough. Or, are their plans for building a cart available ???? :P
Glen Smith

Cart

Post by Glen Smith »

This CLC Kayak cart may work for a canoe also: http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/shopti ... 89d31ae4c/
Last edited by Glen Smith on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hey Fisherguy,
I just went camping with my nephew, he's a yaker.
He built a cart similar to the one Glen just showed us, but he used mountain bike tires and rims. It gave him real good ground clearance. I was going to see how it worked on my canoe, but the river was way way low, so I didn't even bother getting the boat off of my rack on the truck.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
fisherguytoo

Canoe cart

Post by fisherguytoo »

:D THANKS fella's, I do appreiate the feed back.
Yes, the cart that you guys describe looks good ans would not be difficult to make.
Now if I can get a looder for my pickup, gettin out in the boonies and in the water
will be more fun. THANKS AGAIN
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This link shows a "side-loader": http://www.ezload.biz/pages/1/index.htm.
Probably quite pricey but it may give you some other ideas.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Anybdy have any thoughts about building a "yak kart" that could be used to transport a couple of miles behind a car? Could build some kind of yoke to attach the front of the canoe to a trailer hitch. Would have to have clamp-on lights to drive on public roads.
A hui ho,
Kent
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Aloha Kent,
I would build a trailer before I opted for something like that. While I was at it, I would build a trailer with trees to hold at least six boats. Just my thoughts on this matter.
I will need to build that trailer or get another vehicle to haul with. My glass truck isn't going to cut it when I get this Redbird done. My plastic Coleman ends up being about 10' off the ground when lashed to the top of the glass rack.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I use an LLBean model on mine to walk it over to the lake about 1/4 mile away. It's really nice to not have to load it up on a car.
ChipSandresky

Canoe Cart

Post by ChipSandresky »

I built this cart for my tandem kayak. I laminated the chassis out of steam-bent walnut; you could hammer nails with it. I am thinking about putting better wheels on it and turning it into a kayak trailer for a bicycle.

Chip
http://www.LorettaAndChip.com
fisherguytoo

Thanks for the input

Post by fisherguytoo »

:D :D :D Thanks for the great feedback folks. Chip, that cart of yours is really good. Simple, would not be difficult to make, would fold up nice and do a good job.
How do you attach your kayak/canoe to it :roll: :roll: ???????
Glen, that loader looks like it would sure do a good job and make loading a lot easier.
Now, if I can just figure out how they built it 8) :twisted: THANKS, folks.
Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

If you can carry one end of your canoe, you might want to try this: I took an old golf caddy two wheel cart, bent the arms that normally fit around the golf bag to fit the contours of my canoe near the stern and padded them. I also shortened the handle so it would be less likely to catch on the ground. Now I just set the stern of the canoe on the golf cart, wrap bungee cords over the canoe then pick up the bow and walk away. It works pretty good if the terrain is not too rough or grown over. Since it was designed to fold up, I can carry it in the canoe. Mine has pretty small wheels but they made them with some larger wheels. I am going to install straps as the bungees sometimes let the canoe slip out if I hit something with the cart.
ChipSandresky

Re: Thanks for the input

Post by ChipSandresky »

fisherguytoo wrote:Chip, that cart of yours is really good. Simple, would not be difficult to make, would fold up nice and do a good job.
How do you attach your kayak/canoe to it?
Thanks, I flop the kayak on top of it and secure it with rope ratchets (pictured below). They hold it quite well. The hooks catch either side of the cart. I have since padded the top of the cart and added other improvements. I talked myself into turning it into a bicycle trailer; got the wheels yesterday. I will post a picture when its finished.

BTW, these rope ratchets are great. Easier to operate than ratchet straps. I got them from Lee Valley.