scarf joint on outer gunwale

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

scarf joint on outer gunwale

Post by guest »

I didn't have material long enough for my outer gunwale so I had to scarf it. Question is this: How should the scarf joint be glued to the strips. (ie which side glued to the boat). Should the diagonal joint be glued such that the joint is visible from the top (when viewed from the top of the ecanoe) or shoudl it be turned 90 degrees such athat the diagonal part of the joint can be seen when viewing the boat from the side.

Thanks
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Instead of worrying about how the scarf will look, I would check the outwales to see in which direction they will be easiest to bend to follow the sheerline.
Daryldog

Post by Daryldog »

Just finished two 16 foot prospectors (photos will come if I can figure out how). To my dismay I couldn't find long lumber for the gunnels so I also put in a scarf.....the only one (OK, 4, one for each inwale and one for each outwale) on the entire project. I turned the diagonal against the hull as it seemed to hide the scarf better. This worked fine at the centre of the boats as there is very little curve at that part of the shear line. 1/6 scarf worked fine.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Me Too.
I was considering having 20' ash shipped out from the East Coast.
Martin Step states that a scarf joint is a good way of showing your workmanship.
My boat will have six scarfs, 4-gunnels, 2-waterline strip.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hey Dean, have you already forgotten the gazillion scarfs in the accent strips? Very nicely done, by the way.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Glen,
I don't know how to count to a gazillion and besides, those are only 45 degree joints, so they don't count. :lol:
BTW Shaping the keel area of the stem and stripping in that location is "fun"! :x
(Maybe I should figure out a way to bottle this whine)
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA