Question on small boat designs

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
zpeteman

Question on small boat designs

Post by zpeteman »

I've completed a canoe, and am currently working on a 14' foot sailboat at home (70% complete), that's the extent of my experience with boat building. I'm thinking about my next project at work, it will be a group project with the boys I work with, and am interested in some of the small boat designs you offer, such as the Rice Lake Skiff 13/9.

My question is, what is the difficulty of this type of project in comparision to a canoe? Is the construction roughly the same? Are they still made of 1/4'' thick strips? How detailed are the builder's notes?
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Which model of sailing boat are you building. Any pictures of it yet (they 're not on your website http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/zpeteman).
I 'm more and more tempted by small sailing boats like Penobscot17 or Coquina. Every time I see one, I 'm lost...

I 've been thinking of converting my Winisk canoe into a sailing canoe but I 'm not so fond of all the extra gear (leeboard, rudder, ...) on a canoe.

Erik, Belgium.
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

It's an Ace 14 by Arch Davis.

It's of plywood construction so it'll be painted when its finished, which is why I want to try one of Bear Mtn's designs. I prefer to leave the grain showing if I'm going to spend a year working on something.

Here's a picture off his website. Mine is still quite a ways from going in the water.