Making contoured seats

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ray_B

Post by Ray_B »

Charles, I have a pair of Ed's seats not installed yet. If you'd like any dimensions or photos
I'd be happy to privide them.

I ordered the seats without cane.
Later,
Ray
Charles G. Clark, Jr.

Post by Charles G. Clark, Jr. »

I would appreciate some measurements to compare against. How thick are the rails?
Thanks. :thinking
Ray_B

Post by Ray_B »

As you can see the thickness is not uniform.
The 1" is actually 31/32nd and the 3/4 is abt 1/64+
Anything else you need, give a shout.
Later,
Ray
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I must admit that I didn't think that a seat with that thickness and a 1" dip would really stand up to the abuse some paddlers dish out but now that I think about it, I haven't read any seat-busting horror stories. I guess I should rethink the contoured seat option for my next canoe, if & when I build another one.
paul

Post by paul »

May i ask how wide the rails are?
Ray_B

Post by Ray_B »

Glen, Guess the Ash is pretty strong mat'l. Laying a straight edge across the rails and measuring to the bottom of the radius is a very uniform 1 1/8" if you’re interested.

Paul, the rails are 1.800 to 1.300 wide, again varies because of the sanding operation I'd guess. So if you sawed your stock to 1 5/16 (1.312) you'd have the same dimensions after sanding.

I made an error when I purchased these seats; I wanted to cane them using the traditional
cane, but the seats arrived with the grove milled for pre-woven cane and enough pre-woven cane and spline to finish the job. Not the fault of Ed's, my mistake all the way. He'd have been happy to send them without any milling if I'd asked.
Thinking maybe I'll set these aside and order the unmilled seats.

Later,
Ray
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Quick question regarding the laminated, contoured seats (to be filed away in case I am evr able to start my redbird :)). Do you think there'd be any benefit to sandwiching some fiberglass between a layer or two?
hoz

Post by hoz »

I don't think so. I'd just set up a bending jig and laminate 4 1/4" pieces using epoxy glue.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Welcome aboard Mr Dave. I don't think the glass will give any advantage either. Your best bet is to use a hardwood that has straight grain and growth circles very close together (tight grain).
paul

Post by paul »

Ray_B wrote:Paul, the rails are 1.800 to 1.300 wide, again varies because of the sanding operation I'd guess. So if you sawed your stock to 1 5/16 (1.312) you'd have the same dimensions after sanding.

Ray,

Can you clarify further, I am a little confused on the dimensions. In looking at pictures it looks fairly uniform on the width. Is it widest on the actual seat portion and narrowing to 1.300 on the chord/rail that will eventually attach to a the hanger.

Paul
Ray_B

Post by Ray_B »

Greetings Paul, It's no wonder you're confused, my typing was incorrect.
But width is still going to be 1 5/16. While waiting for shop to warm up a tad I've taken another photo and remeasured again with Mitutoyo Digital Calipers and results are as photo shows.

My sincere apologies for not checking my typing.......brain cramp I'd guess.
If you need other info, give a shout and I promise to be more careful with the keyboard.

Later,
Ray
paul

Post by paul »

An indispensable help to figure my dimensions.
I appreciate the effort plus the pictures.
Thanks/Paul