options for painting a canoe?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

options for painting a canoe?

Post by sluggo »

So as I continue my planning for a Freedom 15, I'm trying to think of the best way for me to paint the finished boat. For a few reasons I want to paint the canoe white. My plan so far is to not do anything different until I apply my finish, which would be a white urethane (white wr-lpu from System Three).

However, I also think that it would look really nice if I installed hardwood stems and keep their original color, along with the gunwales. Masking the gunwales will be easy, but I'm not sure about the stems. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this.

thanks
hoz

striping tape

Post by hoz »

Get the 1/4 inch striping tape to mask the stem, then build it back using regular masking tape and paper.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
bookseller

Painting your canoe

Post by bookseller »

Sluggo,
I'm building a 15' Ranger and want to paint it green on the outside. I'm building it as a solo and want to keep the weight to a minimum. What additional weight do you anticipate by adding a pigment to the epoxy? Wiill you use the pigmanted epoxy on all layers including the wetting out of the glass?
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

I have no reason to think that pigment's density is significantly different from epoxy, so i wouldn't think there would be any weight change in adding pigment. I wouldn't wet out the cloth with pigment.