Varnish.....again

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
viking

Varnish.....again

Post by viking »

Been alot of discussion about varnish but.....I also know nothing about it. I plan on using Captains (comes highly recommended from a reliable source :wink ). Two questions. There is several types listed on Petit's website. The ones that have a PDF seem to indicate for use above the waterline. What type should I use? Where can I buy it locally. I'm in the Oshawa area so east Toronto would be best. Oh and do I need a thinner with it? Thanks Mike
Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.
philz

Re: Varnish.....again

Post by philz »

"Above the waterline" means that you can't use it on the bottom of a boat stored in the water day and night for a season. All parts of a canoe are "Above the waterline". I can't help you with where to get Captain's Varnish. Sorry. I use a marine varnish from my local hardware store that sells for about $20 a quart. It's called McClosky's Man-O-War Spar Varnish.
philz
Rick

Post by Rick »

Defthane exterior varnish is what I'm using now and my next canoe will be finished with it. It's available at Lee Valley for about $20, Morningside north of the 401 in east Toronto. Their chemist emailed and said there are UV blockers in it so marine use will be OK. No thinner needed.

In my first stripper, I used Interlux Schooner at about twice the price, no thinner needed. Good results but expensive, it's available at marine shops.

Here's an informative interview on varnish from the Interlux POV, part 1:

http://www.wcha.org/wcj/v21_n2/varnish.html

Part 2:

http://www.wcha.org/wcj/v21_n3/varnish.html

PS... I am not the best at applying varnish and you might actually get better results by thinning a little, especially for the first coat or two... Deftane is thin and shouldn't need thinning, Interlux Schooner maybe.