Resolute Finished July 28 2007

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Denis

Resolute Finished July 28 2007

Post by Denis »

Finally finished the modified Resolute I started last Fall. I made it an extra inch deep and six inches longer than my first boat. My progress, with pictures is posted in the project directory for those who may be interested.

Denis from Lakefield Ontario
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Denis - nice job! What are your woods?
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Denis

Woods

Post by Denis »

Ty Tim for your remarks. I had it out on the river today and it paddles very well and a lot roomier than my other one. An extra 1 inch of depth makes quite a difference.

The wood used is western red cedar and the trim is white ash.

Denis
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Looks Great Denis, excuse my ignorance but is it the picture or is that similar to a gunnel? You have done a really good job.
Ron
Denis

Post by Denis »

ty Ron

Very much like a gunnel in function but smaller 1/4 inch thick by 3/4. Covers the exposed cedar edge of the deck and tidies everything up in addition to making a nice contrast. On white cedar boats I have used cherry which makes a very nice contrast.

Denis
Denis

on the water

Post by Denis »

Finally got a picture taken of the new boat in use. My wife Fran is in her Venture which we built about 6 years ago and I am in the new Resolute. Paddles well and lots of leg and feet room. The extra inch of depth works out very well. Unfortunately I have developed a very sore right shoulder and am having a problem exiting my boat. It may be a short season for me this year.

Denis

viking

Post by viking »

Lookin good Denis. :applause
Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Alright Denis, I see you managed to launch before freeze-up! Is the sore shoulder from all the sanding? :thinking
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi Glen

I don't think the sanding was the problem as it has been nagging me for the past 8 months. Finally got a Dr and got in to see him today will get checked out with x ray and ultrasound. . I thought it might be a rotator cuff thing but he doesn't think so. I am hoping to get it all straightened out for next season and would like to be on the water in April now that the boat id finished lol.

My wife says she can hear an echo from her voice when she was in it. A set of strings and i can play music whilst I paddle
:laughing

Denis
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Good luck with the shoulder. I hope it is just minor.