Wanted: boat builders & related suppliers/manufacturers

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tana Plewes

Wanted: boat builders & related suppliers/manufacturers

Post by Tana Plewes »

The beautiful, seaside community of Ladysmith, British Columbia is interested in recruiting boat builders, marine manufacturers and lifestyle seeking entrepreneurs to the community. Boat building and marine manufacturing is a targeted growth sector for Ladysmith's economic development. I am interested in hearing your views on recruitment (whether you would consider relocating or not).

As a small boat builder, what would it take for you to consider expanding or relocating your business to Ladysmith (or any other community actively recruiting your talents)? What special needs do you have? What market characteristics do you seek? For example: harbour characteristics, production facilities, skilled workforce, transportation requirements, market size/access, related marine manufacturing synergies, etc. In other words, if a community was willing to cater to the needs of your industry, what would you ask of that community?

You may email directly at tana@possibility.ca, post a message through this Builders' Forum or call me toll free at 1-888-824-1460. For a closer look at the community visit www.ladysmith.ca
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

So, Glen, what do you think? Should all the board members up and move to BC and start building a bunch of strippers? I'm always up for crazy stunts like that. :)
Tana Plewes

Post by Tana Plewes »

A new development is currently under construction in Ladysmith that will allow small boat builders and craftsmen to live and work in the same development. It will be zoned residential/light industrial, having separate quarters for home and shop. Even if you're not interested in relocating or expanding into this community we would like to understand what your ideal vision of a small boat builder's coastal utopia would look like?

You know...it's like rubbing the magic lantern and asking Genie to create a community to suit your specific needs and interests (relative to boat building). How often does that happen? ;-)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bryan, don't bother me, I'm busy packing up to move to British Columbia. :shocked

Tana, I will have to give this some thought when I can find the time for it. It might take a few weeks but I should eventually post something.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Sounds real good.
B.C. is an expensive place to live.
Does the demographics indicate that there is a good market for this type of business?
How large of a community of boatbuilders, craftsmen, sales persons, suppliers and support people are you looking for?
Has the business plan been done for this typre of industry for your area?
There are certainly plenty of questions but I'm watching this thread with keen interest.
It's an interesting and thought provoking idea..especially from my point of view here in eastern Ontario where things are not going that well in economics.
Cheers, Robbie.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I like the concept of shop and house in the same area, but it'd have to be separate buildings, because I wouldn't want some of the toxic goo when use releasing its smell into my bedroom.

The main issue, IMHO, is market. Is there a market there that could support small time boat builders? Meaning, are there enough locals that will buy boats. If I'm selling canoes for $3500 and wooden kayaks for around $4000, which is the minimum that I'd need to make on a boat, will there be 15 buyers a year for that priced small boat? The second issue is shipping and transportation. Lacking a local market, how economical is it going to be to send my boats elsewhere? Third would be a local community that loves wooden boats, so I could sell education and workshops. Oh ya, and a way to cheaply acquire American epoxy. :)

Looks like a nice place. How's the kayak guiding business?
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Ladysmith is no doubt a beautiful place, and a wonderful place to paddle. I must have driven right through it on a number of occasions but don't recall anything specific about it.

It seems to me that one of the nice things about building our type of small boats is that they really can be built almost anywhere. Yes, being close to all that wonderful cedar would be nice. However, as we all seem to demonstrate on a pretty regular basis, they can be built under a variety of conditions from basements to full-blown workshops to unheated outbuildings, anywhere in the world. Suitable wood can be obtained anywhere on the continent, even if folks like me gripe about the cost.

But then again, I'm never going to try to make a living at this so I really am not the type of person that can truly answer Tana's query.

Cheers,
Bryan