Strongback Cutting Diagram

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
adamshatch

Strongback Cutting Diagram

Post by adamshatch »

Hello All,

I have been reading on this site for a month or so gaining inspiration and prepping myself to begin my journey. I also picked up a copy of "Canoecraft" as well "Strip Built Canoe" by Randy Folsom to help me along with my journey. I have also ordered the plans for the Freedom 15, and plan on building it for my first canoe. I am in the process of building my strongback now ala the 2006 version of "Canoecraft." As per a couple of other posts, I am making my gables 8" x 8" and 8" x 6.5".

I have searched around and found some info, but I want to ask a specific question. Would it be advantageous for me to build my strongback 14' or 15', or is the standard 16' strongback acceptable for the canoe I plan on building (Freedom 15).

I also made a cutting diagram for the plywood as there was not one in the book - I would be happy to share if anyone wants it.

Thanks for all of the great info I have been able to browse through already, and thanks in advance for your help and support. :smile

John
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

When you want to build other longer boats the 16' back will be nice to have, so I'd build it to that size, especially if you're going to keep the back.

...and you'll want to build other boats. :)
Steve

Strongback diagram

Post by Steve »

Hi John,
I am about to start building my strongback and your diagram could prove both usefull & time saving.
Would it be possible to e-mail it to me?
Best Regards
Steve
sdgresty@aol.com
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

You could build one as I did... 14' with extentions on one or both ends.. built the same way you make the center joint... doubled inside. Mine is 14' without extentions, 16' with both installed and 18' with them both extended. Odd lengths if I use one side only. See lower right-hand corner.

Rehd

ealger

Strongback

Post by ealger »

John, by now you're probably already under way with your strongback. It's convenient to have the strongback about 2 feet shorter than the hull (1 foot on each end) to allow some working room under the shear line at the stems. It's nice to have the extra room when drawing down excess epoxy in laying on the fiberglass.
If you plan on a longer hull, extentions can be added easily enough.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I have diagrams on my web site on the "How To" page under building an external box beam. Slightly different than in CanoeCraft, but works just the same.