Which US Composites Epoxy and How Much for a Freedom 15'

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
adamshatch

Which US Composites Epoxy and How Much for a Freedom 15'

Post by adamshatch »

I about to laminate my stems on my freedom 15' (it is pretty exciting to actually be producing a part of the canoe :eyebrows ) and deceided it was about time to buy my epoxy for the project. I was thinking about using the US Composites because it is cost effective and others seem to think it works well. I have two questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Which US Composites epoxy should I use for gluing and fiberglassing?

2. How much will I need for a Freedom 15' Canoe - will one gallon be enough or does a canoe this size need more than that (2 maybe)?

Thanks for your help,

John
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

1 gallon will definitely not be enough. think 2.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

John,

I used the 635 with 3:1 hardener. I bought the 2 Gal kit so that I would not run out. I believe that I used about 1 11/4+ gallons for an Endeavour with 6 oz cloth. (I am not sure how the surface areas compare with the Freedom 15).

Comments on the US Composites is that it is very good value and the results were great. I had no negative issues with using this product.

Keep us informed on your progress!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Hi John,

I've found US Composites 3:1 epoxy to work just fine, but there are a few issues about it that I don't like as much as other epoxy that I've used: 1. It's much thicker, especially when slightly cold. 2. It has a orange tint. 3. It's much slower to wet-out the cloth and thus harder to work with than other epoxies. 4. It seems to cure slower than other epoxies that I've used. 5. It blushes big time.

The price is right though. I'd guess you'll need around 2 gallons if you're able to control the amount you put on. A 3 gallon kit is very inexpensive, so I suggest you buy that size and you'll have epoxy for other projects.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I would take heed of Bryan's comparative comments, as I have very little experience with other brands.

I am a bit surprised by the blushing comment, as I had no blushing to contend with.
Snowman back East
adamshatch

Post by adamshatch »

Thank you very much for your replies. I have actually deceided to put off the epoxy buying for now and laminated the stems with Titebond III. I can see the glue lines as I'm using ash, but in some ways I think the lines look interesting on the laminations.

Thanks again,

John
jlk

Post by jlk »

bryan,

so you used this?

EPOX-635315
2 Gallon epoxy
85oz hardener
at $98.50 for the kit

and it worked fine? if so, that is a huge price savings!
JeremyT

Post by JeremyT »

I used that on canoe last year and had no issues at all. No blush either.