Time for the painters hole. any tips? Jigs?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AkDan

Time for the painters hole. any tips? Jigs?

Post by AkDan »

Well I'm ready for it. My decks are glued up and drying. My inner gunnels are ready to be rounded over, a little sanding and a sealer coat of epoxy, and the painters hole.

My plan tomorrow is to get the deck to fit. Then apply fit and glue the painters hole.

I'm opting for a 1/2" hole. Need to see what the inner size is first, I usually tie down canoes with regular ole 550 cord (parachute cord for you non military types). Is there a jig to keep from wandering on the way through? My canoe is not flat on the sides like many, instead it has quite a bit of tumble home to it still out on the ends.

Also is there a problem with tear out going through the glass with an agressive forestner bit? Or is it better to use a regular drill bit starting with a pilot hole of smaller size?

Tips? tricks? idears? I'd hate to screw this up, figuring it's only a one shot deal.
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Dan -

I have used a wood painter hole, rather than PVC or copper pipe. The technique I used is described on my web site.

http://www.michneboat.com/Building%20th ... ter%20hole

You may have to scroll down the page a little to get to the painter hole section.

- John
AkDan

Post by AkDan »

Thanks John,

How about drilling the hole in the boat? Just go at it?

how about hole size? I was thinking OSD pvc conduit of 1/2" would be perfect. Now with would should I run slightly larger? A 1" hole seemes a bit big? I was going to leave this off the boat initiall, but, realizing how in sam heck am I going to tie her down if I dont install them?
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

AkDan wrote:how about hole size? I was thinking OSD pvc conduit of 1/2" would be perfect. Now with would should I run slightly larger? A 1" hole seemes a bit big?
Hi Dan,
On my kayak when it came time to drill the holes in the ends for the grab loops I just went to my pile of drill bits and grabbed the forstner (I think it was a frostner bit, but I'm not entirely sure) bit that looked about the right size - 7/8". I drilled the hole by propping the drill on boards to the correct height to assist with keeping the drill level. I then drilled into the bow from one side until the tip of the bit broke the surface on the other side. I then switched sides to finish the hole. As soon as I started the hole I realised 7/8" was too big. However, I was committed so finished the hole. As it turned out, I had some 7/8" dowel which fit the hole very nicely. So, I drilled a hole through the center of my dowel (maybe 1/2" or 3/8") then epoxied the short length of dowel in place. I then trimmed the ends of the dowel flush with the kayak, rounded the inside edges & coated everything in epoxy. The wood for the dowel was light coloured (likely pine) and contrasts nicely with the cedar. Now it looks like a feature rather than a screw-up.

Cheers,
Bryan