black webbing for seats

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

black webbing for seats

Post by sluggo »

What are some pros and cons between black webbing on seats as opposed to woven cane? My instinct is that the webbing may actually be more comfortable. The cane of course looks better and more traditional. Does anyone know of any guides on how to best make a seat with webbing? Any idea if the webbing stretches and gets looser once wet?

thanks
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Very little experience here but I was talking about this subject the other day with a friend who is building a canoe for his 1,400 km expedition this summer (http://wildpaddler.blogspot.com/). His concern with webbing is that it will become wet from sweat and having a wet bum for 1,400 km would be no fun at all. We talked about the possibility of using synthetic cane so I think he was going to look into that option. I'm not sure what he had decided.
Cheers,
Bryan
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Sluggo,
Not sure what kind of webbing you are thinking about...the stuff used for patio furniture?

I have woven the seats for both my canoes from the synthetic webbing available at HH Perkins (online) and found it a good experience that only takes a day or so. You will have this canoe for years, and the webbing seats really are comfortable and look great. I made a little jig for my seats while I am weaving so they are a little more manageable. It;s just 4 pieces of wood glued in a rectangle, with the side away from me about 8" taller than the side nearest me. This sets the seat up at an angle and makes it pretty easy to cane.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."