Strip colours

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JNewman

Strip colours

Post by JNewman »

I cut all my strips the other night and am going to start routing the bead and cove in this afternoon. I have kept all the strips in order as they came off the saw and plan n keeping them in order. I reread the section in my very old copy of Canoecraft last night and it talks about alternating dark and light strips and warns against have sections of light and dark. However one of the pictures at the top of this page is a very nice looking Rushton style canoe that is light on the top and dark on the bottom.
What do most of you do about arranging strips of different colours?
Denis

colours

Post by Denis »

I would suggest considering dark on top with light wood on bottom to minimize the effect scratches will have. ie they wont show up as much with the lighter bottom.

Denis
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Hello Newman (Hello Jerry),
I try to be sure that the colors match side to side the best I can. I think it looks awkward to have a strong color difference where the pieces come together. Of course, I build stemless, so this color mismatch is very evident. A stem might mitigate it some. Denis' idea about dark on top probably has some merit: Aesthetically I have always placed the darker pieces from the waterline up, transitioning to lighter pieces as I near the sheer.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

You know...I think a nice way to go is to lay the strips out on the floor and see what pattern you like. It's a matter of personal choice...and after looking at it awhile...I'm sure you will find just the right combination!!!
:applause :applause :applause