eastern white ceder glue

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
roger bebee

eastern white ceder glue

Post by roger bebee »

Good afternoon all : Just did a search on glue types for installing the strips , man a ton of imformation and opinions ,all good , but still kind of confused . I'm using eastern white ceder and plan on yellow carpenters glue . Want a good open time to allow the strip to be fitted and clamped ( 20 to 30 min. ) , good colour match , reasonable set time when clamps can be removed to carry on ( 1 hr. ) . Used a bit of titebond 3 and found it skined over in 2 to 3 min. , to fast for me . Anyones advice on a manufacturer whos glue fits this description ,or close to it , would be highly appreciated .
thanks Roger :confused
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

With white cedar I usually use whatever brand of yellow carpenter's glue is sold at the local store. In my case that would be the "BMR" glue or "Lepage's" glue. Both have worked well for me.

You might want to speed up your stripping rate by first doing a dry run to make sure everything fits as you want it, make a few pencil marks on the new strip and the previous one for alignment purposes, then apply glue and quickly install the strip and any clamps. It probably takes me about 10 minutes for the process.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Ditto what Glen said, except in my case it was Alaskan Yellow Cedar. The Rona brand of yellow carpenter's glue worked well for me in my AYC section. And I used the Lee Valley 2002 glue on the rest of the kayak which was western red cedar.
Cheers,
Bryan
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I really like plain old Elmer's carpenter glue on light colored strips, and sometiimes switch to Titebond III on the darker colored strips. On something as light as Alaska Yelow Cedar (I haven't worked with Eastern White Cedar), it seems to be important that you keep your wipe down rags clean and rinsed down when you clean the glued joint. That dust from the darker colored sawdust laying around the shop (such as WRC) can contaiminate the glue joint and really show on light colored woods..Just a little extra care and just my experience...Juneaudave
:applause
frugal

Post by frugal »

We used plain carpenters glue on our redbird with both White Cedar and Red Cedar strips without any noticible glue lines.

As long as you clamp the strips together tightly (especially between stations) you shouldn't have any issues. We had two of us on our build and one would pull the strips together while the other clamped.

We also spent time doing dry fits especially around the turn of the bilge where we used a heat gun to twist the strips in place. Working one side of the canoe then the other and dry fitting everything we used up the clamp time for the glue. The only issues we had were near the end where we were much more efficient on fitting the strips and had to wait for the glue to set. Next time we may use the fishing line method to hold the strips in place.