Cardboard Doll

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kudzu

Cardboard Doll

Post by Kudzu »

I found a reference to a 1940's(??) plan for a canoe that was originally built of waterproof cardboard. It was said the boat was a good design but the choice of material was lacking.

I liked the design and so I committed it to paper... or I guess that is electons. It's has a sort of miniature whale boat look.

Don't think this is something I am interested in building but it was fun to design it. I am still pretty serious about building a 12-14 foot double paddle canoe though.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

HMMM,
A 16 foot boat with hard chines? Bet it would carve like a 'Yak! Don' t know if I'm too crazy about the flare. Looks to be about 4" to 5". Wonder if it was meant for oars? Or could be converted to them? Guess cardboard wouldn't hold oars very well, would it? Interesting design, though. Thanks for sharing it.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Kudzu

Post by Kudzu »

My understanding was it was designed so it could be built from waterproof cardboard that became available just after WWII(??)

Why the flare? No idea. The lines were printed in an old Wood Boat mag. as a sidebar to the main article. I think it appeared in the old Rudder magazine originally. The builder did say he would put more shear in it and that it could benefit from some additional initial stability to make entry and exit easier. But was otherwise pleased with it. Just not the cardboard.

It didn't say but I am assuming it was meant to be propelled by a double paddle. The main article was about double paddle canoes.

If I didn't have some other boats that interest me more I would be tempted to work on this design some more. But it's just didn't fit my needs. Not that I wouldn't like to build it.