varnish question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Paddle on the Crow

varnish question

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

I built a Prospector about 8 years ago and used "System-3" epoxy. For some reason that I cannot remeber, I chose not to varnish it when I was done. It seems not to be a problem, as the canoe still looks good and it is stored inside out of the sun all the time. (Except of course when I am using it)

My question is; was this a bad idea not to put a coat of varnish on it? Is it a normal practice with the System-3 not to varnish? I just can't remember why I didn't, but I think there was a reason.

Thanks,
POTC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Many builders don't varnish their boats the first year. This way you can see where most of the scratches accumulate and you can reinforce those areas before varnishing. This usually is not a problem if you used an epoxy containing UV inhibitors and store the boat out of the elements as you have done. If the epoxy turns cloudy or starts to peel or flake off, you have waited too long before applying varnish. Most people don't wait 8 years though.
Paddle on the Crow

I guess now that you mention it, the bottom of the haul does seem to be a bit cloudy. (Under the water line) What does this mean?

Thanks,
POTC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That could be just wear. Has the boat received any maintenance in the last 8 years? Does it become clear when wet with water or remain cloudy? If it remains as cloudy when wet, it is possibly U.V. degradation. If minimal, as in no hairline cracks or darkened wood beneath the epoxy, you could sand and apply another finish coat of epoxy then varnish a few weeks later. If badly degraded, it is preferable to remove the fiberglass, sand the boat and reapply new fiberglass, epoxy and varnish. Can you post some overall pics of the hull plus some close-up shots?
Paddle on the Crow

I'll have to see if I can get any good shots of it, and post them. I did sand the haul about 4 years ago and gave it another coat of epoxy. I want to say that it appears to get cloudy when it has been wet for a while, but doesn't appear to have any cracks, and I can't see any signs of the wood getting dark. I guess I never gave it much thought, but now you are starting to make me a little nervous :frightened

Thanks
POTC
McFLY

Post by McFLY »

Glen Smith wrote:Many builders don't varnish their boats the first year. This way you can see where most of the scratches accumulate and you can reinforce those areas before varnishing.
For builders that wait to varnish, do you apply epoxy to the gunnels and decks, or do you paddle for a year with the wood exposed? I've got cherry trim that I'd like to darken some with exposure to light, so I'm thinking of waiting a season to varnish myself. I've noticed that Canoecraft describes just varnishing the trim pieces, while many here seem to put a coat of epoxy on before varnishing.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Brian
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

I put 2 coats of epoxy on everything prior to installation of the trim. After installation , then I coated with with varnish. I felt like the extra weight was worth the added protection.
I plan on keeping this boat for a long time-and I don't want to have to redo anything soon.
Vann Evans