Freedom 17'9" Plan Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Paddle on the Crow

Freedom 17'9" Plan Question

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

Hello,
I was going over the full sized station drawings and was wondering why station #2 has it's own mold extention line, insead of sharing the 6" line at stations 3-8? Is there a reason it should hang over the strongback, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
POTC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If I understand your question correctly, station 2 uses a narrower extension because a wider one woul dbe too wide to allow you to strip that area of the canoe. The extension would get in the way.

Does this help?
Paddle on the Crow

Glen,
I understand your answer, but the reason I am questioning it, is because station #2 is actually drawn wider than the regular 6" (12" wide overall) bases at the other stations (Your answer would make sense if it was drawn narrower like the #1 or #0 stations.)

POTC
Paddle on the Crow

Hey Glen,
I just thought of something. Do you think it is so you have an extended "guide" when gluing the strips to the top on the bow and stern to keep the haul lines true being it is at the same curve as the rest of station #2?

Thanks,
POTC
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I think we should wait for advice from someone who has actually built the Freedom 17' 9" before.

Hear that, canoe builders??????
sel4sel4

Post by sel4sel4 »

Hi POTC,

I have almost finished building a 17'9" freedom; however, I am struggling to understand your question.

Give me more detailis and I will be glad to help. Or Perhaps you can look at my postings. I think I have a picture of the set up molds in there somewhere.

cheers

Martin
Gatineau
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. - Scott Adams

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ ... 20prjoect/
sel4sel4

Post by sel4sel4 »

HI POTC,

I just looked at my build pics and I think I understand your question. The answer is yes that form's bottom portion is wider that the strongback. I think it makes it easier to strip the end of the canoe and it does not interfere with anything. It just isn't wide enough at that point to cause a problem with respect to accessibility.

I hope this clarifies it.

Cheers!

Martin,
Gatineau
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. - Scott Adams

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ ... 20prjoect/
Paddle on the Crow

Thanks for the feedback Martin,
When your done, let me know how much she weighs!

POTC