First time builder

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
partsman430

First time builder

Post by partsman430 »

I own store bought kayaks and a canoe, but now it is time to build my own. My question is for a first timer should I go with stitch and glue or strip, canoe or kayak. I use my kayaks more so I would prefere a kayak. Any advice would be apreciated. Thanks
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi,
I'll offer my 2 cents as a relatively novice builder.

If it's a kayak you prefer, build the kayak. That's the easy question, WHICH kayak, now that's a bit tougher but it can be fun making the decision.

My first boat was strip-built and I don't regret that. However, it did take a fair bit of time - over a year and a half with some extended breaks in between. My next kayak will probably stitch and glue. Largely because it should be much faster to get on the water with it, but also because there are some stitch & glue designs that really intrigue me. My first kayak was very curvy (a guillemot) and so my next kayak will likely be a hard-chined stitch & glue with a longer water line (fast, sleek, narrow, long).

So I guess the question is, how much time and patience do you have? How quickly do you prefer to be on the water? If you are leaning towards a bit quicker time frame, then perhaps the stitch & glue method will suit you better for the first build. However, if you are like a lot of us for whom the build is a hobby & pass-time, well then try not to dwell on how long it takes & just enjoy the time building something amazing.

If you are on the fence, then choose the boat you REALLY want to build, no matter what the method of building is. What kind of kayak do you own now? Do you want a replacement to improve upon it, or will it complement it in a growing fleet?

Just some things to think about.

Cheers,
Bryan

p.s. Your gonna love it!
partsman430

Post by partsman430 »

Thanks for the info Bryan, I'll let you know what I decide.