Freedom 17' 9"- Am I alone?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Paddle on the Crow

Freedom 17' 9"- Am I alone?

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

I've got the plans and have the parts for the strong back cut. However, I have been doing some searching on this site and not finding many posts that relate to the Freedom 17' 9". I am curious if many people have built this design, and if they are happy with it. I'm not having second thoughts or anything, I am just a little disappointed there are not many pictures or posts about this particular build.

Is this a new style or something?

If you have built, paddled, seen or heard anything, I would love to hear any comments (Good or bad) you may have about the Freedom 17'-9"

Thanks,
POTC!
bennie

Post by bennie »

i have got the plans
created a work bench from scraps
sharpened some basic tools
started with smaller canoe parts
am collecting materials
reading and visualizing

but cannot help you with any experience yet
suppose we will eventually fill in this gap
sel4sel4

Post by sel4sel4 »

Hi
You are not alone.
Mine is almost done.

All I need to do now is attach outer gunwales, varnish the hull, and install the seats and thwarts.

It should hit the water this spring.

Mine took a long time to build (3 years). Many things contributed to extending the build such as: a wife, 4 kids, and my wanting to make thing boat absolutely perfect (which of course won't happen).

I went all out on this boat: inlay in the bow, accent strip, hidden hardware, caned seats, the works.

I don't expect my boat to be light, because my trim is all maple, and my decks (maple, lacewood and cherry) are kind of on the big side. But she is a beauty. The lines on this boat are awesome. I absolutely do not regret my choice. But this is not a tiny boat ... its BIG.

I'll post some new pictures soon.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. - Scott Adams

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ ... 20prjoect/
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Wow, looks great. I love your inlay and seats!

s
BruceNZ

Post by BruceNZ »

Hi,

I don't know if your still on this forum but I'd be keen to hear how your progressing. I'm looking to start my 17' next month - I'm still in tool collect/build mode and the next big project is a router table.

Cheers

Bruce
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

sel4sel4,

Wow! what beautiful work. I love the inlay. I can't wait to see more pictures. Is there any special significance to the bird on the side? Is it a great blue heron?
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Hello Bruce in N.Z. ! !

We've been saving a spot for you. I just started my 17 although it's not the 17'9" that the original poster was looking for. I will be doing things only slightly different than the average bear. Specifically I'll use rolling bevel again and I will omit the outer stem but use the inside stems. Just cuz.

I'll post pics every once in a while. GLad you made it. Do a search on the forum here you might find other builders on the Freedom 17 who have some very good photos on theri webpages.

See ya round.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
BruceNZ

Post by BruceNZ »

Thanks Tim,

Congrats on your previous build it's beautiful and must have been a very rewarding experience to be able to build it with your son.

Look forward to seeing the updates on your new boat,

Bruce