Inner cloth

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Steve

Inner cloth

Post by Steve »

Hi, just about to start the inside of the hull with cloth & epoxy, and according to canoecraft the cloth should be cut 4" short of each stem. Does that mean that there will be no cloth at each end for the 4"? or will it expand as it wets out? Then again i could be missing something completely
Steve :thinking
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The problem encountered when leaving the cloth full length is that it is very difficult to wetout without getting tangled in the cloth on the opposite side of the hull.

What I do is to leave it maybe 1" shorter than full length. I slit the cloth down the middle from the top to the inboard end of the inner stem and remove the excess along this slit so the cloth drapes well on either side of the stem. I apply the epoxy with a brush and about 6" from the ends, I fold the cloth back over without it touching the already wet cloth behind it. Then I use a brush to apply epoxy to the hull in that last 6" then carefully reposition the folded cloth back in place. It is a very difficult place to squeegee without moving the cloth so I usually end up with a bit of excess epoxy in this area. As the excess works its way down to the hull bottom, I scoop it up with the squeegee and discard. I also brush epoxy on the inner stems and any exposed wood.
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Glen pretty much nailed it. That's exactly what we did.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cheers Guys, i'll give it a shot
Many Thanks
Steve :smile
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!