Prospector Plans

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jpowers123

Prospector Plans

Post by jpowers123 »

I just finished plotting all the points for my Prospector build. I previously drew the plans from the old Canoe craft and spent some time comparing them. The new points seem to produce smoother lines, which I am happy about. The stem mold has a lot less points to plot but that seems to leave a little bit of an unknown for me as far as where to, or how to, connect the plotted points with the center line and the base line. While the old plans gave a 0 plotting point, the new plans do not. Do you just follow the natural curve of the batten to the 0 point? Secondly, do the new lofting points require you to subtract 1/4 inch for planks on all molds and 3/4 inch for the stem mold?
podunk

Post by podunk »

try this link http://www.bearmountainboats.com/canoestems.htm . It may be of some help. I plotted a Ranger from the offsets in Canoecraft and some didn't look right. I found this link which has some corrections for the Ranger and some other designs. Good Luck
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

That part about stem mold offsets being given to the outside of the inside stem would have been handy to know. I foolishly assumed the data points given were used to draw the form. I guess the boat building heritage does not run deep enough here on the prairie for me to have been taught that sort of peculiarity as a child.

It explains 1.5" of why my Hiawatha is longer than the plans. :embarassed