carriage bolt length/source

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
michael giswold

carriage bolt length/source

Post by michael giswold »

Only thing left to do on the weekend on my 16' Prospector was to install the seats and center thwart. I followed the instructions in Canoecraft and cut the seats to fit at 10&1/2" off the bottom. I cut the spacers to fit for the bow seat and then found that the 4" brass carriage bolts I had ordered aren't long enough! At that height I will need minimum 5" length but 6" would be best. The maximum length of brass I can find is 4". I can order 6" silicon bronze from Newfound Woodworks. Does anybody know of a Canadian supplier for either brass or bronze 6" x 3/16" carriage bolts?
Other than that, I guess the only option is to raise the seats higher but that's not what I'd prefer to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael
John Brice

seat bolts

Post by John Brice »

I was looking for S.S. seat bolts and found that 3/16 was the problem - 1/4 was readily available and that's what I used.

Good luck, John
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Michael,
A few years back, I ordered some 3/16 stainless bolts 6 inches long, so I know they are available. However, at the moment I can't recall who I ordered them from.
I will look for the receipt at home. Feel free to send me a PM as a reminder if I have not replied again.

Jeff
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Noah's Marine sell S.S. bolts that are #10-24 X 6". They are flat head and you can get cup washers or sink the heads. I think I would go for the silicon bronze from Newfound.
michael giswold

Post by michael giswold »

Thanks for the replies. I've been making call after call and checking many websites, but it seems 1/4" ss in closest thing in Canada but it seems like I still have to order those as well. As much as I hate to pay the air freight charge - I've decided to order the silicone bronze from Newfound. A few extra bucks over the life of the canoe isn't a huge deal.

Michael