epoxy requirements, clarification needed please

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jturk

epoxy requirements, clarification needed please

Post by jturk »

On page 142 of Canoecraft, in the section on sheathing the outside of the hull, in the materials list, Mr Moores writes that about 2 gallons are needed. Is this for the outside of the hull or for the outside and inside of the hull? I am building my first boat, a 16 foot prospector, and am about to buy the resin. I don't want to buy 4 total gallons if I only need 2. At the same time I do not want to run out during the third coat. Thanks in advance.
Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

2 should be enough for the whole job.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
John Brice

Epoxy

Post by John Brice »

I recently built a 15 foot Bob's Special and used a little over one gallon of resin.
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

I built a Freedom 15 and bought 1 1/2 gallons of west system . I precoated inside and out, put on 3 coats outside and 2 coats inside. The key is light coats rolled on. I had a small amount of resin/hardner left over.
Vann Evans
Ben

Post by Ben »

I purchased 2 gallons for my Freedom 17-9. I put 3 coats on the outside, and 2 on the inside, plus a few extra coats along with 3 strips of glass on the stems.. I got nervous about not having enough after the outside, so I ordered an additional gallon that I didn't need. For me, the biggest source of waste was the fill coat on the outside. I put way too much on that got squeegeed off onto the floor.
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

I guess I am just curious. Each of you state what you used, but what cloth was that for? I just did an 18 foot Micmac and used just over 2 gallons of resin plus hardener. It worked out to around 3 gallons total @ 3 to 1 ratio. Add some for float chambers and that total goes up. I did use two full pieces of 6 oz cloth on the inside and outside. I would have used a lot less with one 4oz cloth inside and out. I think the cloth and resin are linked enough that to compare apples to apples the two need to be stated together. Matthew
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

On my Freedom 15, I used one layer of 6 oz cloth on the exterior hull and one layer of 4 oz cloth on the football. I precoated the exterior and then applied both layers of cloth at the same time. After the wet-out coat, I applied two additional layers of epoxy, making a total of three exterior coats. I used a single layer of 4 oz cloth on the inside. I precoated the interior . After the wet-out coat, I applied one additional coat making a total of 2 coats inside.

As I said in the earlier post, I think the key is to use a roller after the initial wet-out coat so you don't apply too much epoxy and then waste it. There really shouldn't be much waste in the wet-out coat because you can squeege the epoxy around so that it covers dry areas as you go.

Vann Evans